Archive old records in DB files in I-series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archive old records in DB files in I-series

What is an "AS/400 flat file"? I detect an anti-AS/400 person (or pro SQL Server/Oracle/whatever) has been misleading someone. rd

Possibly a program described file, or a file created by a S/36 process? In either event, the original poster will have to provide further details. Dave

Comment

The file I am talking about is a flat file created on AS400. Flat file on AS400 means that there is single field in the file with length 100. Please let me know if you require further details.

Comment

That's called a text field. You parse it or structure it to isolate the area that contains the date like you would any text field. rd

Comment

If the file were a source file member, there would be an area containing the date that each record was added or changed. AFAIK there is no such hidden area on a data file member. If within the 100 bytes a record creation date exists, then you will have to know the starting position of this date. OTOH OS/400 only provides a date when any change to the file is made, and this is done at the file level not record by record. In other words, unless a date field is contained within the body of the file, you will not be able to achieve your goal. Dave

Comment

I want to define a process to archive records in a AS400 flat file which are more than 30 days. Can anyone guide me through. Thanks Das

Comment

Working...
            X