Access SQL Server 2000 tables from AS/400 HL Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access SQL Server 2000 tables from AS/400 HL Program

I haven't tried this, but you can probably create a share on the SQL server via QNTC and then use the IFS API's to access the file in RPG. Chris Ringer RingerContracting@yahooo.com

I would try to use (embedded) SQL to connect to a remote database, perhaps with an ODBC-connection. Regards, Carel Teijgeler

Comment

I have exactly the same question - I dind't manage to find any examples on how to access an SQL Server table from an AS/400 program. Can somebody help, please? Cris

Comment

In my article http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/1@@.6ae6296d, you will see a paragraph entitled "Accessing Microsoft SQL Server from the iSeries". This is one technique. Also, a couple of us out here in the community are just beginning an Open Source project to build a generalized JDBC bridge that will allow iSeries programs to easily execute SQL commands on another machine. And finally, there's also the RmiJDBC product from ObjectWeb that provides pure RMI links to a JDBC server on another machine. You can read about it at http://rmijdbc.objectweb.org/documentation.html. That can get very network intensive, but it's another possibility. Joe

Comment

Here is an option that is probably very left field (and I mean way out of the park), How about creating a VARPG program that accesses the data on the SQL Server. You could basically create an I/O program for the table(s) you need and pass the appropriate information to the VARPG program that will send the information back. As I said it is a far left field solution but since VARPG will act as a middle program between the iSeries and any other Database (including SQL (using ODBC or JDBC etc)) and it is already included with the iSeries. Why not give it a try?

Comment

You can configure DB2 to use DRDA (sort of like DDM). This will allow you to access the files directly from the iSeries. The link is: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...S/db2h1e80.pdf

Comment

Hi Lou Basset I'm interested in your suggestion. Like others, I've tried to find out about the same question. At the end, There is are DRDA & Java (and other third party solution). My company is still on V4R4 (probably not going to upgrade until the the thing crashes!). Can we do DRDA configuration in V4R4? So far I've been playing around with it, but unsuccessful. I've downloaded PDF is "Connectivity Supplement" but not sure where to start. Can you briefly guide me? Thanks!

Comment

The October 2004 issue of iSeriesNews has an excellent article by Scott Salisbury which shows how a SQL Server database can be accessed by RPG(via a Java program using MS SQL JDBC drivers). Sample code is supplied and can be downloaded from the iseries Netowrk website. I have tried it out and it works just fine. Regards, Mike Heidbrink

Comment

We have an application where the database tables are stored on a server using SQL Server 2000. We need to access some of this data via high-level language programs on the AS/400. Does anyone know how we can access the data directly without having to duplicate it to AS/400 DB2 tables?

Comment

Could not go in. ProVIP only.

Comment

Working...
                    X