Excel and ODBC to access iseries data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel and ODBC to access iseries data

I believe you need to change the setup within iSeries Navigator. Highlight the server you are connecting to within iSeries Navigator (it will ask you to log on when you click on it) and then go to "File" and "Properties" at the top of the window. Click on the "Connection" tab. You can set the default user stuff in here. Scott

Scott Walker wrote: > I believe you need to change the setup within iSeries Navigator. > Highlight the server you are connecting to within iSeries Navigator > (it will ask you to log on when you click on it) and then go to > "File" and "Properties" at the top of the window. Click on the > "Connection" tab. You can set the default user stuff in here. To be a bit more specific, depending upon which version of the ODBC driver you are using, this is all controlled by the driver. Find the driver (it's usually best to place it as a Machine Source) and click on the "Configure" button. On the first screen (General tab) it asks for the system to connect to and there is also a "Connection Options" button. Click this and you will see the available options; select the one that's most appropriate. I believe the default is as Scott notes: "Use iSeries Navigator default". Bill

Comment

I don't think you understand the problem. I have created and saved these Excel Sheets and somehow it contains my userid. The ones the other guy has created and saved works fine. So the Excel and the query in it must contain uid? If I use Edit Query in Excel and then Save query i can see that uid is set to my userid! Appreciate all help!

Comment

spetsare wrote: > I don't think you understand the problem. I have created and saved > these Excel Sheets and somehow it contains my userid. The ones the > other guy has created and saved works fine. So the Excel and the > query in it must contain uid? It can and we'll get to that in a minute. First, examine your ODBC data source properties as described previously and make sure that yours is not set to a default user id (yours). > If I use Edit Query in Excel and then Save query i can see that uid > is set to my userid! With the worksheet that contains the QueryTable active in Excel, go to the Macro editor and View the Immediate window. Type this in the Immediate Window: ? activesheet.querytables(1).connection It should then display the connection details below this statement and will likely show your id being listed. You can change the connection string in the immediate window as well to drop the user id. Bill

Comment

Thank you! For setting mee on the right track. I used Microsoft Script Editor to get access to uid in Excel sheet! That should do it!

Comment

I'm using Excel to access iseries data. Everything is working fine. But now another person is going to work with the Excel sheets. We have set them up so the only thing you nedd to do is to push -Refresh Data-. Excel then get the updated data from iseries. But now when this new guy will work with this he gets a login suggesting my userid. When I ran those Excel reports a just logged in once and then just used refresh. He gets a login for everone suggesting my userid. How do I change default user id for these excel sheets.

Comment

Excellent information Bill!!!

Comment

Working...
              X