Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oracle Drops the Ball with MySQL on the i. Will IBM or Zend Pick It Up and Run W/ It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Drops the Ball with MySQL on the i. Will IBM or Zend Pick It Up and Run W/ It

** This thread discusses the Content article: [url=http://www.mcpressonline.com/database/mysql/oracle-drops-the-ball-with-mysql-on-the-i-will-ibm-or-zend-pick-it-up-and-run-with-it.html]Oracle Drops the Ball with MySQL on the i. Will IBM or Zend Pick It Up and Run With It

This is very disappointing news to hear of Oracle's decision, but is anyone really surprised? This is Oracle, after all. Getting Zend or IBM or someone else to carry on will require a fair amount of time and money as well as a strong commitment. And it will basically fork MYSQL.

We use MYSQL to created index type files that our PHP programs use. (front end for image system, etc) And Zend's PHP has DB2 calls built in that we use.

Using MYSQL's DB2 engine is not as simple as it seems. The files must be defined in MYSQL, not DB2 or DDS. Then, because it is possible to have mixed case, IBM I requires double quotes around file names and field names. This makes it somewhat hard to use on the IBM i side.

We will continue to use MYSQL and hope we don't run across any significant bugs that will not be fixed due to end of support. (We have not run across any bugs so far).

... so what, why should I use MySQL with DB2 storage engine? There are enough other (free) storage engines for MySQL.

D*B

Comment

Working...
    X