Web Services Notes from All Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Services Notes from All Over

** This thread discusses the Content article: Web Services Notes from All Over0

Web Services Notes from All Over

Thomas, I read with interest your article on recent web service announcements. I think I'll bypass your interesting attempt to cast doubt on the motives of Sun for the timing of their announcement. Ok, maybe I wont. Sun did announce their Java Web Services Developer Pack (WSDP) on June 19 while IBM announced their SDK on June 27. Was IBM's announcement timed to take some thunder from Sun? Anyway, your article reminded me of a growing problem we seem to face in writing web services -- the baffling number of standards and corresponding technologies. For web service registries alone we seem to be faced with a number of choices. A recent JavaWorld article mentions UDDI,ebXML,ISO11179, eCo framework, OASIS. If I dont know which standard will prevail or want wide acceptance of my web service, I have to support all these standards (or at more than one). Who knows what new standard will come out tomorrow? To insulate the developer from these issues as much as possible, we are starting to see products like JAXR (from Sun). With JAXR I can code to the interface and not worry about the standard of the underlying registry. JAXR seems like a big step in the right direction. Alex Garrison

Comment

Working...
    X