Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living the Active (Server Pages) Lifestyle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living the Active (Server Pages) Lifestyle?

Great article! My only question is, does the iSeries have to be functioning as the webserver to use the ODBC connection this way? Or can it be used on a Windows 2003 webserver that's connected on the same network as the iSeries?

In the scenarios described here. The iSeries only needs to support ODBC functionality. All of the webserving functions occur on the Windows server.

Comment

It is hard for me to comprehend why if you are working with probably the most stable OS and database in the world, that you will explore such option. That is, that you will use old legacy basic and that you will have your users depend on pc’s running any of the unstable Microsoft products. Sure it may have taken you half a day BUT it will take you the rest of the week and for days on to trouble shoot issues. I may have understand it back in 1996, but today we have a number of great tools that allow us to stay within the most stable platform ever created and to continue to provide 24x7 working robust applications using the new front end (browser). This can be done but allowing i5/OS to control the serving of the pages (APACHE server in i5/OS) and by using Web application server tools such as Websmart or RPG Smart Pages. By the way if it took you half a day to build the app. in ASP it probably will take you ½ hour to build it in either of these two tools and you will have the rest of the week to read more Microsoft magazines.

Comment

jmachado, First, let me make this disclaimer: I'm a strong proponent of the iSeries and I've been in the IBM midrange since 1974. Now, let me debunk the myths that you have said below. I do not find the Windows 2003 server platform to be "unstable" as you have claimed. We have a public web site that sees over 120,000 unique visitors per day and this year will generate over $45 million in revenue. In the past 5 years this web site has only been down once due to unplanned outage. We run our web site using MS IIS, SQL Server and the programs are written in C#. During that same 5 years our iSeries has been down 3 times due to unplanned outages. I suggest to you that our MS environment should be nominated as a stable environment. Too many people base their opinions about Microsoft environments on either very outdated information or poorly managed servers. If you are having troubles with Win2K3 then I suggest you look internally. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "jmachado" wrote in message news:6b3093dd.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > It is hard for me to comprehend why if you are working with probably the > most stable OS and database in the world, that you will explore such > option. That is, that you will use old legacy basic and that you will have > your users depend on pc's running any of the unstable Microsoft products. > Sure it may have taken you half a day BUT it will take you the rest of the > week and for days on to trouble shoot issues. > > I may have understand it back in 1996, but today we have a number of great > tools that allow us to stay within the most stable platform ever created > and to continue to provide 24x7 working robust applications using the new > front end (browser). This can be done but allowing i5/OS to control the > serving of the pages (APACHE server in i5/OS) and by using Web application > server tools such as Websmart or RPG Smart Pages. By the way if it took > you half a day to build the app. in ASP it probably will take you ½ hour > to build it in either of these two tools and you will have the rest of the > week to read more Microsoft magazines.

Comment

jmachado, Let me start by saying I'm an Midrange guy... have been working on the 400 (and the 36 before that) all of my career. Having said that I think that there ARE cases where use of Windows based applications just makes sense. Personally my view has always been that I want my iSeries to be used for my core business applications. I do however a lot of value in using IIS servers for "non-mission critical" applications like reporting tools, etc. Having options is NEVER a bad thing. Mike

Comment

I think you guys are missing the point. The i5 provides a secure and stable environment designed for both multitasking and to be multi-user. Judging from your comments, that's where your core business data resides as well. So why get a seperate box? A few other points:
            > Too many people base their opinions about Microsoft environments on either very outdated information
            Another point of view would be that Microsoft has a well earned reputation for products that are neither secure nor stable. They may have finally started to get a handle on this in the past 2 years or so, but they have a decade of rep to live down.
            > Having options is NEVER a bad thing.
            I couldn't agree more! IIS runs where? On Win2003. Apache runs where? Win*, *nix, i5/OS... but you get the point. There are times when Windows servers makes sense, I just can't think of one right now. Tom D.

Comment

Again the point of the article is not to say do this instead of any of the other options... but to present this as an option for web development. It's also important to note that it is possible to host Active Server Pages directly from the iSeries using 3rd party Apache add-ons.

Comment

** This thread discusses the Content article: Living the Active (Server Pages) Lifestyle? **

Comment

Tom, I could not have said it better! Here is where my core business data resides as well. So why get a separate box? ....why go to other tools if my current environment provides them. When I need to play tic-tac-toe it is the PC that I run to! BTW, Not just ASP but also PHP is available via third party. I think I read somewhere that IBM may add PHP to i5/OS. In such case I will have the two tools I mentioned before and then PHP (NATIVE!). I love technology, and I think this business sometime gets into the USE OF NEW TECHNOLOGY just for the SAKE of USING NEW TECHNOLOGY. Rather than looking at ALL technologies and then ….. USING the SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY.(for that particular case) One more analogy: Why will I take a peoplesoft application whose data resides on Oracle and use a "data pumping" tool to migrate the data to a csv file in the ifs to then upload to DB2 so that I can use websmart to create Web base application. IT JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! It sounds like fun,...lots of technology involved, LOTS of billing if you are a consultant..... but not practical. .....this is just my opinion. But, then again I may be wrong!

Comment

Working...
                  X