Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys?

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys? **
    This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys? Page up and Page Down work to scroll up or down a page at a time too

Re:TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys?

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys? **
    And the plain arrow up and arrow down keys walk up scroll you up and down the web page in increments.

Comment

I use shortcut keys all the time. But, hey, I'm an old CPM/DOS guy, so I like the keyboard. However, I have to take issue with one you mention. Instead of Shift+Arrow, Alt+arrow(right or left) are the shortcuts for Navigate Forward or back, as with the buttons on the toolbar. A couple of my other favorites, pretty much in any Windows app, are Ctrl+Home(or End) to go immediately to the top(or bottom) of the page. In Firefox, the browser I use 80% of the time, Ctrl+PageUp (or PageDn) will move through the tabs as well as the Ctrl+Tab. Shortcut keys are something that I learned the benefit of while using WordPerfect 5 in DOS. I use them as frequently as possible. I really like the windows key shortcuts for dealing with window management(win+M to minimize all windows) and getting to explorer quickly (win+E). Every OS and app has some, it definitely pays to look them up. I use them on my Macs at home, too. They save a lot of time. In some cases they can save your bacon too! I got a call from my wife that my daughter had a DVD stuck in the Mac at home with the desktop hung. How to get it out? Power up while holding the mouse button. While not exactly a keyboard shortcut, it is a shortcut to kick the DVD drawer open upon bootup. On a final note related to the saving of bacon, knowing these keyboard shortcuts will take you a ways toward functioning within a GUI OS if your mouse craps out. We have several industrial CNC machines that use a Windows interface, but we've had touchscreens and mouse connectivity die fairly often. Without the knowledge of the keyboard shortcuts I would have had to just hit the power button, but knowing these helped to shut things down in an orderly fashion. -- Cheers

Comment

Thanks for you comment. Sorry about the Shift/Alt typo - and thanks for setting me straight... - Jan

Comment

> Page up and Page Down work to scroll up or down a page at a time too ... > And the plain arrow up and arrow down keys walk up scroll you up > and down the web page in increments. And they're WAY more intuitive, too.

Comment

Re:TechTip: Is Anybody Using Browser Shortcut Keys

First: This is not a complete list ! But there are some extra shortcuts here you could use also! Happy Browsing ! [code] Standard browser Shortcut keys ------------------------------- Ctrl+N Open a new window Ctrl+T Open a new tab Ctrl+W Close the current window/tab Ctrl+R Refresh Esc Stop Alt+ <- Back Alt+ -> Forward Alt+Home Go to your homepage Alt+D Move focus to the address bar to type in a URL Ctrl+Enter Add "http://www." and ".com" around an address * If you want to open a .org site, you need to use Ctrl+Shift+Enter. * And for .net websites, the shortcut key is Shift+Enter. Bonus Tip: If you like Firefox to add a different suffix other than .com, open your Firefox settings page at about:config and change the value of key browser.fixup.alternate.suffix to something else like .org, .net, etc. F11 Full Screen MiddleClick (= mouse scrollwheel) Middle-clicking a tab will close it, even if it's not the active tab Firefox Shortcut Keys --------------------- ************************************************** *************** A livesaver ! Ctrl+Shift+T Undo closed tab (re-open the last closed tab) ************************************************** *************** Ctrl+Tab Switch to the next tab Ctrl+Shift+Tab Switch to the previous tab Ctrl+[0-9] Switch to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. tab F3 Open the "Find Text As You Type" widget (bottom of screen) / Open the "Find Text As You Type" widget (bottom of screen) ' Open the "Find Links As You Type" widget (bottom of screen) Ctrl+G Find the next occurrence of a search phrase Ctrl+Shift+G Find the previous occurrence of a search phrase Ctrl+K Move cursor to the Web Search widget (top right of screen) Ctrl+plussign Zoom in the current web page Ctrl+minsign Zoom out the current web page Ctrl+zero Restore Text Size Ctrl+R Refresh the page F5 Refresh the page F6 Move to Next Frame Shift+F6 Move to Previous Frame Ctrl+F5 Refresh the page fetching content from the server not from the cache Caret Browsing F7 Delete In forms: Delete selected text Shift+Del In forms: Delete Individual Form Auto-Complete Entry Ctrl+J Show Downloads History (in windows only) End Go to Bottom of Page Home Go to Top of Page Ctrl+U Page Source Opera ( I wished they had that in Firefox too ! ) ----- In Opera, pressing shift+Esc lists all access keys used on the page, and can be activated from that point using the single key alone. Opera also allows the keystroke combination to be configured by the user, making it possible to provide a single modifier key to invoke access keys, rather than the default shift+Esc.

Comment

""If you want to see the source code on a Web page in IE, you can use Shift+F10 and then select "View Source." "" Instead of Shift+F10 then select "ViewSource",we can use ALT+V+C in IE.

Comment

Working...
              X