X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.Pluta
    replied
    Software as a Service

Wow! I am sorry that I can't keep your attention. It's funny, because I really do keep close track of my article sizes. I usually submit it right around 2500 words. I've also worked over the years on tightening up my prose, and my editor, Victoria, does an extraordinary job of making me a better writer. If you think what I write now is inane, babbling fluff, you ought to see what it starts out as! But seriously, I do apologize if my content is too long. I am by nature a verbose man. One of my favorite acquaintances in the programming world is a gentleman by the name of Barry; out of courtesy I won't print his last name (as he might not be willing to admit knowing me). One of the things we used to say about Barry was that if you asked him what time it was, he would tell you how to build a watch. Well, while this was true, I also learned a whole lot about application design and development from Barry, as long as I was willing to listen. And I started to model my own answers after his. Over time I learned that, at least as a teacher, answering a question usually did a lot more good if I provided some background. Over the years, that's probably gotten worse. I am in fact getting older -- I just picked up my first pair of reading glasses. So maybe I am starting to string too many words together; perhaps I'm starting to cross the line from teaching to preaching. But I did a little research, and here's what I found out: 2500 words is about 8-10 pages in a paperback novel. This is roughly one half of a chapter in "Star Trek: The Last Stand" (yes, I am a Trek fan). In those 2500 words I covered the history of client/server architecture for 30+ years. Too wordy? Perhaps. But at that rate, I could fit an entire millenium in one paperback . Joe

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic Software as a Service

Software as a Service

Joe, you are an expert in all you undertake. Please, stop being so verbose in your writing. I know from experience that much can be communicated using fewer words than you usually use. I have difficulty reading your articles simply because they take so long to make a point. Remember, the secret to good writing is 'Rewriting'. First, throw all the words down on the page. Then move the sentences around. Add some. Remove some. Use as few words as possible to make your point in the way you wish it to be made. Finally, you have concise, written masterpiece. And maybe I will have the patience to finish something of yours.
Working...
X