Hopefully someone still remembers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully someone still remembers...

If you have no other alternative, you can get a null modem cable and connect it to a COM port on both machines. You will have to use SNA to make the connection, but once the S/36 users pass through to a 400 session, they will be able to use all the 400 has to offer. If you can use token-ring or ehternet, use that instead. It's much faster. Dave

Thanks for the reply, Dave. It seems the only hardware we have on the 36 (other than the twinax controller) is the cable coming out that connects to a modem. I want to avoid upgrading the 36 since we are phasing it out anyway. I'm curious about this null modem cable...it seems the modem port on the 36 is different than the modem port on the 400. So as far as this cable is concerned, it seems like a strange beast indeed. Any ideas where I should start looking for a cable of this type? Thanks

Comment

Null modem cables are available from most major suppliers. Essentially it is an RS-232 cable with certain pins twisted. An advantage of null modems, is the elimination of modems at either end. Dave

Comment

Once upon a time many years ago, I personally followed the IBM migration plan to move from a S/36 to the S/36 environment on an AS/400. On a couple of occasions I remember doing this over a weekend. Then when the migration was completed you could just shut down the S/36 and run everything in the S/36 environment on the AS/400. Then you could slowly convert over to native mode. Is this still an option?

Comment

Frank - That is still an option (an I'll be the first to admit, probably the best option). I started doing this when we first got our 400 and ran into some really wierd problems I hadn't come across before when I did that in a previous job. Menu names the same as procedure names, unsupported functions, and some missing source code on critical programs. And being a one man shop I had to abandon that for the time being because of time constraints. I just thought maybe the networked option would be a quick and easy way of getting some cheap connectivity to our 36 until our new software was finished on the 400.

Comment

We have an advanced system36 (model 236) and an as/400 9406-170 running v4r5. These two machines sit side by side in our computer room and I want to connect the two machines together mainly for the following reasons: 1) Connect all my users to the 400 and have them automatically pass thru to the 36 when they sign on. (the 36 is still our production machine). This eliminates us having to buy a $400 emulation card whenever we set up a new pc, and we can just use the $20 ethernet card. 2) Allow myself to transfer files and program source code back and forth between the two systems during this conversion process. 3) avoid using tapes for saving on one machine then putting the tape in the other machine and restoring. (How much more counterproductive can you be???) I am simply overwhelmed with all the networking technology available on these machines. TCP/IP is in place on our 400 and I have a pretty good grasp on that because we have pc's attached to the 400 using it, but I know the 36 isnt capable of that technology so I think I need to resort to something else. I have used this technology in the past (signing on to the 400 and passing thru to the 36) but I didnt get involved in the networking of it. The main things I want to know are the following: What is this technology called? APPC? SNA? APPN? x.25? I dont really know. What are the hardware requirements on the 36 and 400? What are the software requirements on the 36 and 400? And lastly, (and this one has seemed impossible to find out) what type of cable do I need to connect the two? Hopefully someone out there that used to do this sort of thing still remembers. Thanks for any responses. Mark

Comment

Mark, I believe the differences you see in the modem ports have to do with differences in the interface. Most of the old CISC AS/400s support only the V.24 interface, while the newer AS/400 (iSeries) models support both V.24 and V.35 interface. But their availability depends on the communications cards that are installed. Some cards support both interfaces, it all depends on the attached modem/cable. So, I suggest you inquire with your IBM representative if your iSeries communications card can handle v.24 interface, and if so, how to get hold of the required modem cable. Now how do you connect the cables? "Modem Eliminators" give you that "snap-on" capability. Talk to your communications supplier (we used RAD in our shop) and the only other information he will require is the interface (v.24). For more info, look up "modem eliminators" inside: http://www.rad.com/products/ Once you get those cables connected, all that is left for you to do is to configure the SDLC line/controller descriptions. After this, you can STRPASTHR with ease. This isn't as fast as Ethernet, but it is rock-solid stable.

Comment

Working...
              X