TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i **
    This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i I issued a single MKDIR command against our Windows Domain Controller about five years ago. I used the host name and did not add an entry in the system host table. Every share on the domain has been available ever since, without having to add a MKDIR to QSTRUP.

Re:TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Mapping a Network Drive from the IBM i **
    I have been toying with allowing our users to use our PDF creation program, but was unsure of how to place the created PDF in their network server personal drive. This greatly helps provide a way to point to the necessary folder. However, what happens when backing up the system? When doing the *LINKS in BRMS does this attempt to backup anything in the '/QNTC' folder?

Comment

Can I map drive to my office PC

Using this method can I map to my office PC? If yes how would that be done? Thanks John

Comment

V5R1 and Vista

We have not been able to map drives onm our office PC's using V5R1 and Vista. And I know IBM does not support Vista until V5R4. Two qustions: 1) Can I use this method instead? 2) Has anyone been able to map a drive using V5R1 and Vista Thanks John

Comment

Re:Can I map drive to my office PC

Once QNTC and the share on your PC is set up, it is a simple matter of /QNTC/pc_hostName.

Comment

All windows PCs in our network are already available via /QNTC/pcname. They have been for years. Why is the MKDIR command needed? What do I gain? Evidently I'm missing something here.

Comment

Now that I can map a PC or Server drive from the "I". I need to run a cl that connects to the PC, run a PC command to print an object (probably a PDF) from the IFS on the "I" and be able to designate what printer on the "I" it's going to print off of. Can this be done?

Comment

The MKDIR command is generally only needed when you first set up QNTC (unless you are accessing shares on a different domain).

Comment

Every one of these postings are packed full of Real World situations and are a great enhancement to this TechTip! All of these options are technically feasible and I just wanted to provide some additional insight as to why or why not you may chose to implement them. The capability of name resolution on the network using Windows Domain Controller, WINS and DNS make your IBM i dependent on these “Non IBM” servers. For most situations, this is perfectly acceptable and recommended for flexibility and ease of use. But, for situations where you can not afford this dependency and you absolutely, positively need to have the network drive accessible and you are required to have the utmost reliability in your network connection, then I would use the IP address or put the host table entry on the IBM i. To support name resolution in a critical environment, I would use the Primary DNS server, that is most likely being hosted on a “NON IBM” server, and set up the secondary DNS server on the IBM i. That way the IBM i secondary DNS server would continue to operate if the “Non IBM” server were to go down. You could also synchronize the secondary DNS on the IBM i with the primary DNS on the “Non IBM” server so that it is up to date. Every environment is different and this is probably overkill for most situations. But, I always like to go to the worst case scenario. Now that all of the nay saying is out of the way, allow me to provide additional information, on how to set these things up: Here is an IBM Software Technical Document that discusses the Primary Domain Controller and WINS. It also discusses the multiple domain issue. Configuration of QNTC And here is another useful link for using QNTC. Windows Server 2003 requires digital signatures on the SMB packets that are being used that may prevent the QNTC from working. This IBM document shows you have to disable the requirement for the digital signatures to allow QNTC to work. Windows Server 2003 SMB Digital Signatures

Comment

When dealing with “Non IBM” servers, you have to balance the pros and the cons. As I myself have done in this TechTip. I received an email on the topic of security and I felt as though I should mention it. When you synchronize the user ids and passwords between the IBM i and the Windows server, you have now reduced your password protection to the security level of the Windows server. If someone cracks the Windows password protection, they now have the IBM i user name and password. This may be acceptable for most environments. But for environments that it is not, my next couple of TechTips will provide solutions to this problem.

Comment

When doing the *LINKS in BRMS, I have prevented /QNTC from being backed up by specifically omitting /QNTC. I have not tried it, but I did see that you could specify /QNTC in your backup if you want this to happen. I am unsure of the default behavior.

Comment

Yes, you can run a PC command from the IBM i. And yes you can specify some behaviors of the application that is being executed. I already have all of the information that you will need coming up in the next series of tips within a few weeks.

Comment

I'm Confused, what is meant by "Windows computer that has a share on it"

Comment

When you wish to allow users to access resources in your file directories through the network, you would typically need to "share" it on the network. You could create shares on the IFS using NetServer as discussed in one of my previous TechTips. On Linux and Mac, you could use Samba to allow access to the directories. And on Windows, you could use "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" which is accessible through your "Network Connections", "Local Area Connection" and make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is install. I am using Windows XP. So, just look for something that says "File Sharing" in it somewhere. Normally this is already installed. Once you have this installed, you could just go to Windows Explorer. Right Click on the folder that you wish to share. Select "Properties", then click on the "Sharing" tab. Then click on "Share this folder". From there you could set up permissions on who can access the folder.

Comment

Working...
                            X