QNTC linked directory disappears after IPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QNTC linked directory disappears after IPL

I have been able to create a link via SBS to a shared folder via the MKDIR command:

mkdir '/QNTC/nnn.nnn.nnn.nn/etc./'

This has been working well.

Until we did an IPL.

Then the link disappearred. No messages, warnings, or anything else.

We are at V5R4. Answers and suggestions for prevention of a recurrence are most welcome.

Dave

We had a similar problem, so we placed a MKDIR in QSTRUP - problem solved

Comment

I hear ya.

Placing MKDIR in QSTRUP would be an effective workaround. Hopefully there is an actual solution somewhere.

I created a problem record in service director, and received a response that no one else has this problem. Your response indicates that either no one reported the issue, everyone is using the workaround that you suggested, or that IBM is simply ignoring a bug, or calling it a "feature!"

Dave

Comment

We are at V6R1 (so it is not just V5R4) and I noticed the same problem with a missing directory in /QNTC after an IPL. A user says this has only started happening in the last 8 weeks. Until I can determine the cause, I just wrote a CL program to create the missing directory (if it does not exist) and this program is run by the job scheduler once a week. After seeing your postings I will contact IBM and report the problem.

Larry

Comment

Working as designed...

<<

[...]

7. (Optional) If you want, you can configure a WINS server but this is not necessary. However, if you have Windows Servers that are within the same domain but not in the local subnet and WINS is properly configured , these servers will also be displayed under the QNTC File System without intervention by the user. Any assistance with debugging and/or configuring a WINS server can be obtained under a consulting agreement or by contacting Microsoft Support.

Notes:
          a It is not currently recommended that the Primary WINS server be configured on a Integrated Server, due to the inherent difficulties in setting up WINS on multihomed server.
          b IBM I NetServer or iSeries NetServer must be configured to point to the WINS Server.
          c All password and user ID requirements apply to all Servers.

8. (Optional) DNS Configuration. If you do not have a WINS Server you will only be able to access the server shares on an Windows Server outside of the local subnet using the MKDIR '/QNTC/' or MKDIR '/QNTC/' if you have a DNS that references the Windows NT server.

Notes:
          a It is recommended that you configure WINS rather than using this method.
          b Any access created through MKDIR is removed when the System i is IPLed and must be re-created manually.
          c All servers must be in the same domain.
          9. Ensure that the IBM I NetServer or iSeries NetServer can be found through Start > Find computer. If you are able to find the IBM I NetServer or iSeries NetServer through this method, the configuration on the System i is correct. This does not ensure that the IBM I NetServer or iSeries NetServer resides within the same domain as the Windows NT Server.

10. Now sign on the System i with a user ID (usually with administrator authority on the Windows Server) that has the proper authorities to the specific shares to be accessed on the Windows Server and run WRKLNK QNTC . Type a 5 next to QNTC and press the Enter key. If you do not see the name of the Windows Server, verify Steps 2, 3, 4, and 7. If you configure Steps 5 and 6, verify those steps also. If assistance is required with Steps 4, 5, and 6 (if the DNS is other than the System i DNS) you can refer to www.microsoft.com/support , call Microsoft Support, or we can assist under a consulting agreement.

>>

Comment

Item 8b in your quote is very telling.

Essentially, the loss of connectivity in this case, is a feature, and not subject to correction.

The only way that I see IBM fixing this situation, is if enough people complain about it.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X