Automatic sign-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic sign-on

Jim, Why not do an "acquire" to the workstation. I remember doing this a few years back. Essentially, if the workstation is in "sign on" status you can acquire it and automatically run a program. Don't ask the details, just look into the RPG and DDS manuals about acquire. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Jim Wiles" wrote in message news:5bfb7bb6.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | We are working on a time and attendance project where we will be using old PCs running DOS and Telnet using TCP/IP to the AS/400. We need these PCs to keep the same program running all the time. We have magnetic stripe readers attached to these PCs for reading employee time badges. The PCs will be located on the plant floor to allow the employee to swipe in and out. The keyboard and cpu will be locked in a secure cabinet, so the only input can come from the badge reader. I have the program written to read the badges, the only problem is our IPL on Sundays. We are going to have the PCs connected through UPSs, so they will always be powered on. However, the IPL is going to cause the program to end and vary on and off the display leaving it at a sign-on screen. This is the problem, because no one is going to be signing on to the PCs. In fact, the keyboards are locked in the cabinet, so the employees won't be able to sign-on. | | I already have a sign-on setup for the plant that starts the program automatically. Which is great if I could get it to automatically sign-on using that sign-on. I did create a subsystem and workstation entry according to some other posts, but you are still required to press enter to get past the sign-on screen. | | I appreciate any help with this matter. | | Thanks, Jim Wiles

Automatic sign-on

Thanks for your reply. Since I received your response, I have been racking my brain with figuring out how to use ACQ. From what I have learned, ACQ acquires a program device. Which I assume a program device can be a display station? It seems to me that ACQ requires an ICF program. I tried setting up an ICF program and the device using ADDICFDEVE, but I don't understand the Remote Location keyword. I'm not sure what to put for a remote location because the terminal I am trying to acquire is a virtual display station QPADEV0001. I am using Telnet for DOS to make the connection, so I don't know if APPN applies. Let me know if I am on the right track or did I stray down the wrong path. Thanks

Comment

Automatic sign-on

We are working on a time and attendance project where we will be using old PCs running DOS and Telnet using TCP/IP to the AS/400. We need these PCs to keep the same program running all the time. We have magnetic stripe readers attached to these PCs for reading employee time badges. The PCs will be located on the plant floor to allow the employee to swipe in and out. The keyboard and cpu will be locked in a secure cabinet, so the only input can come from the badge reader. I have the program written to read the badges, the only problem is our IPL on Sundays. We are going to have the PCs connected through UPSs, so they will always be powered on. However, the IPL is going to cause the program to end and vary on and off the display leaving it at a sign-on screen. This is the problem, because no one is going to be signing on to the PCs. In fact, the keyboards are locked in the cabinet, so the employees won't be able to sign-on. I already have a sign-on setup for the plant that starts the program automatically. Which is great if I could get it to automatically sign-on using that sign-on. I did create a subsystem and workstation entry according to some other posts, but you are still required to press enter to get past the sign-on screen. I appreciate any help with this matter. Thanks, Jim Wiles

Comment

Automatic sign-on

If you know the IP address of the incoming telnet sessions you can use the telnet exit program IBM provides here --> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...iwtelnexit.htm There is a control file that can be setup to have the incoming session "logon" and start an initial program.

Comment

Working...
        X