Attaching a bar code printer to the AS/400 via the network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching a bar code printer to the AS/400 via the network

We have the same printer attached to our network. I have tried for ages to use HP jet direct boxes - with no success. We have got one working by using a Capstone Technology Cricket CT503. Basically it plugs into the back of the printer - has an address assigned to it , then the network connection ends up in the Workstation Controller - hey presto!! it works as a local AS400 printer.

I need some help with a device description for a printer that I am trying to connect directly to the network. The AS/400 is IP connected using an ethernet card to the network. The printer is a DataMax Prodigy Plus. I am using an HP JetDirect300X print server. I have the IP address for the network drop that I am using. I have spent a lot of time looking at the CRTDEVPRT command and have had little success. We are currently using these same printers in other areas of our plant, but they are twinax connected. If you have a similar example that you could share I would really appreciate it.

Comment

Wayne, I have accomlished this using a SATO barcode printer along with a few others. I had to create a Remote Output Queue to get this to work. Use CRTOUTQ - Name the OUTQ and LIBRARY, for REMOTE SYSTEM use *INTNETADR, for REMOTE PRINTER QUEUE use TEXT1 or RAW1, for CONNECTION TYPE use *IP and for INTERNET ADDRESS us the IP Address assigned to the printer. Then you send the Spool File to the OUTQ you just created. This was the only way I could get the Barcode printers to work connecting them to a network. Any other problems, please let me know. Thanks. JR

Comment

Working...
      X