Moving AS400 users to new hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving AS400 users to new hub

Hi, we have a number of "dumb" terminals that connect to the server through Tiex DaisyPower 4GX hubs (switches?). We have too many hubs for the no. of users and wish to move some users to another connection on a different hub. Each time I do so, the terminal stops working (cursor in upper right); if I move the cable back to original hub, it immediately picks up the connection and works fine. I inherited this system and am note sure what I'm seeing. Are these "intelligent" hubs that created routing table or something like at the server so it remembers who is connected where? Or is there something else I'm missing? thanks for any help, J Giles

Jerry, To begin with, twinax devices are usually daisy chained with the device at the end terminated. Most, if not all, of the hubs did not require such termination - they did it automatically. If all -or some- of the devices on that port (there are up to 7 devices on a port) go down when you plug in the new device, it most likely is a termination problem. If only one goes down while your new one goes up, then its a duplicate address problem. I believe that you may have a duplicate address problem regardless of another device going down. Each twinax device has an address 0 to 6 which is used as an identifier - it does not have to equal the device's position on the port. Addresses were set by dip switches on the older equipment, and were electronically set on the newer equipment. One other option to look at may be that you don't have automatic configuration turned on, this can be verified by running the command DspSysVal QAutoCfg at a command line. If it is turned off, you must make a decision between turning it on or configuring the devices yourself. Bill > Hi, we have a number of "dumb" terminals that connect to the server through Tiex DaisyPower 4GX hubs (switches?). We have too many hubs for the no. of users and wish to move some users to another connection on a different hub. > > Each time I do so, the terminal stops working (cursor in upper right); if I move the cable back to original hub, it immediately picks up the connection and works fine.

Comment

Jerry, I suspect that if you have "terminals" then you don't have hubs or switches at all. You have a twinax to twisted pair converter. Look at the back of the "hub" and see if there is a thick round black cable. If so, then it's twinax. You also have a balun at each terminal to convert the phone wire back into twinax. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Jerry Giles" wrote in message news:5bfa5e37.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Hi, we have a number of "dumb" terminals that connect to the server through Tiex DaisyPower 4GX hubs (switches?). We have too many hubs for the no. of users and wish to move some users to another connection on a different hub. | | Each time I do so, the terminal stops working (cursor in upper right); if I move the cable back to original hub, it immediately picks up the connection and works fine. | | I inherited this system and am note sure what I'm seeing. Are these "intelligent" hubs that created routing table or something like at the server so it remembers who is connected where? Or is there something else I'm missing? | | thanks for any help, | J Giles

Comment

Working...
      X