Network interface Ethernet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network interface Ethernet question

since you put a firewall in...are you sure that your firewall isn't doing a proxy? That is, is it possible that your firewall is presenting one ip address to the world at large, but translating it to another ip address for your internal network? That's what happens at my shop. We have a router (can't remember if it's a cisco router or not off the top of my head) and we have to configure it, using the router's configuration utilities, to point the external ip address to our internal. YOu may want to ask your provider about that possibility.

Thanks for the prompt response shannon, but cisco wasmonitoring the pinging both inbound and outbound to the AS/4oo. they tell my network guy, they can ping the address 192.168.1.23 but the response is coming back from 192.168.0 -- which is this cryptic network address i can't seem to figure out how to change... 192.168.1.0 WAS our old router... it is no more, and the newer CISCO router is 192.168.1... so the 400 is responding back to an addy that is no longer there. least that's what they tell me. if anyone can tell me WHERE that network address is configured i could at least TRY somethings!!! :-)

Comment

We just changed our router address interface from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.1 due to getting a new firewall and CISCO router. can ping my NT servers and AS/400 from internal w/o a problem When i attempt to ping from the VPN/Extranet, i get a failure. CISCO says i am getting no response from the new address 192.168.1.1 and when i display TCP/IP interface status, my network address does show 192.168.1.0 This was set up a few years ago by consultants and i have no idea how to change that network interface to the 192.168.1.1 that is now our CISCO router. (our old router used to be 192.168.1.0 hence this is why its set up like this). CISCO is sure this is the problem and i need to recongig TCP/IP for the new addy. CAn anyone help me... know i need to end the Ethernet line/controller to do this. What is the command to delte/add or change the object i need to change for this! was not there when it got created so i don't know and now everyone associated with the install is gone... Here is my Work w/ TCP interfaces: ================================== WORK with TCP/IP Interfaces Internet Network Line Interface Opt Address Address Description Status 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.0 *LOOPBACK Active 192.168.1.23 192.168.1.0 CANSONETH Active | | V this is what i need to change!!!! HELP!!!!!!! What commands do i use????? Thanks Mike Biegner

Comment

Hi, I will put your problem like this, you have changed the gateway address to 192.168.1.1 i.e on your CISCO router. Now your local network is able to ping your AS400. Check the IP address of your AS400, and route definition for the same. Route definition you can check using command cfgtcp & option 2. Chk the entry for remote destination either it could be ip address or *dftroute entry, most probably *dftroute entry and chk the ip address of next hop.. it should be new CISCO router ip address. If next hop is different then your CISCO router IP then change it, this will allow people coming to your network to access your AS400. Pls also confirm with your router people regarding NATing and whether same has been implemented at your site, in that case your remote site will have a different IP to be configured which will be mapped to original as400 id at your firewall and then connection will be established. Hope this breif explaination helps... Regards Rajesh

Comment

Working...
        X