Linux networking pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux networking pain

Hi Tony. Post the results of the following commands: /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n and cat /etc/resolv.conf That will show what the SuSE box knows about your network.

Linux networking pain

Hi Tony. Post the results of the following commands: /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n and cat /etc/resolv.conf That will show what the SuSE box knows about your network.

Comment

Linux networking pain

Yep... you're missing the default gw. Find out what your IP has for your gateway address and type: route add default gw www.xxx.yyy.zzz That should do the trick. I'm not familiar with SuSE and where they store that kind of network information but you should track that down. You'll have to enter the command on every reboot otherwise.

Comment

Linux networking pain

First let me say I'm an application developer not a network admin so work with me here. I've got an Tomcat application server running on a SuSE Linux box. This box has been accessible on our local Intranet for some time. Since our project in nearing completion we would like to make the machine available over the Internet to a few of our customers. I thought this would be a simple switch of private/public IP addresses but, I was mistaken. I switched the machines private 192.XXX.XX.XX address to a public address provided by AT&T; changed the gateway from our internal 192.XXX.XX.X gateway to the public address of our Internet router; and verified the DNS names were correct. The machine still cannot get to the Internet; resolve any domain names; or ping outside the public 13.XXX.XXX.XXX network. Just for grins I setup a Windows 98 box with the application and the same network info. I can get out to the Internet, and we can connect to the machine over a modem line with no problem. I think this is a routing problem on the linux machine that can be fixed with a "route add", but I'm not clear on exactly what I should be adding. I really want to get this to work so I can prove to the brass that Linux can replace our current Novell/Windows severs, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tony trichardson@jasusa.com

Comment

Linux networking pain

I didn't verify that the gateway was on the same subnet as your box -- which I should have done. Let's take this offline. Shoot me your e-mail address to blkline@attglobal.net and I'll fire back a phone number at which you can reach me. Let's set up a call and I'm sure that we can get this fixed very quickly.

Comment

Working...
          X