prompting for printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prompting for printer

samiller60 wrote: > Is there a setting to force an emulated printer session under iSA to > prompt for which printer to use on the local client (as do most > native Windows print jobs), rather than automatically routing the job > to the Windows default printer? Client is on Win2K, connectivity is > TCP/IP, if it matters. The goal is to allow the user to route large > print jobs to an Adobe Distiller printer and capture output as a pdf > file instead of overwhelming his little workstation printer. Thanks. iSeries Access only prints to the default Windows printer when a printer has not been assigned via the File/Printer Setup option. I have 3 printer sessions defined on my PC that point to 3 different printers, I actually have a 4th that I don't use any more that used to print to a disk file. The only trick in all of this is to create a different session for each end-point printer by using the File/Printer Setup option. This also allows you to define a different printer customization profile under the Communication/Configure section. Bill

prompting for printer

Is there a setting to force an emulated printer session under iSA to prompt for which printer to use on the local client (as do most native Windows print jobs), rather than automatically routing the job to the Windows default printer? Client is on Win2K, connectivity is TCP/IP, if it matters. The goal is to allow the user to route large print jobs to an Adobe Distiller printer and capture output as a pdf file instead of overwhelming his little workstation printer. Thanks.

Comment

prompting for printer

I thought I remembered that setting on set-up. Problem is that I need the user to be able to re-direct the print from a single iSeries outqueue/spoolwriter to either a physical or virtual local printer at will (and operating from only the PC side). If I understand your solution, the spool output would need to be routed to the desired device from the midrange side. That won't work in our environment. I guess I could live with routing all iSeries print output to the PDF writer and letting the user sort them out, but that is less desirable, especially as I imagine the default file name that Adobe will pick up will be less than meaningful. Thanks for your response.

Comment

prompting for printer

samiller60 wrote: > I thought I remembered that setting on set-up. Problem is that I need > the user to be able to re-direct the print from a single iSeries > outqueue/spoolwriter to either a physical or virtual local printer at > will (and operating from only the PC side). If I understand your > solution, the spool output would need to be routed to the desired > device from the midrange side. That won't work in our environment. One other way to do it, but it's still not as slick as you'd like it would be to define 2 printer sessions that each refer to the same printer id on the 400. The user would use the Communication/Connect and Communication/Disconnect options to activate the appropriate printer personality as needed. Bill

Comment

Working...
        X