Home networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home networking

I am kinda green at this "home networking thing" but work with some very sharp guys. I think you need a router to share the internet. Seems I have been told that the cable will plug into the "cable box" an ethernet cable will go FROM the "cable box" to a Router and multiple cables(one to each computer) will go from the router. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. I need to know for sure, I have two new Dell's in my basement waiting on Christmas day and I know the second question will be "WHEN DO WE GET DSL"!!!!?!?!?!?!

Home networking

I know you can do it with out router. I had it working previously for about a year with an older PC running ME. I recently upgraaded to a newer machine running XP figured it would work with both them running the same OS. Obviously plug and pray didn't work for me this time. May be I will just break down and buy a router. Thanks

Comment

Home networking

I have two computers both running XP. I want to be able to share a cable internet connection. I have used a cross over cable to connect them and I can ping each one from the other. I can also ping the loop back address. I can not get it to share the internet connection. I have run the install wizard numerous times and nothing. Any ideas would be of great help as I am out of ideas. Thanks Jared

Comment

Home networking

Both the above posts are right. You'll need a router, hub or the like. If you get a router (like LinkSys or NetGear) your account information is configured into the router. The router acts as a proxy server as well, so your provider just sees one connection, but you have 2 or more. It is also a DNS and DHCP server, so you can communicate between PCs by name and don't have to hard code IP addresses. I have a NetGear, but most people are partial to LinkSys (Cisco). The current crop of routers are extremely easy to hook up. Even *I* was able to do it. I have a Windoze laptop, two desktops and 1 Linux machine hooked up.

Comment

Home networking

Jared, While you can use "internet sharing" within Windows, it's not the best solution. I use a Linksys router, but most any cable/DSL routers will work, and it has the benefit of also being a firewall. Plus, if you use the PC as the router then anytime that PC is turned off any other PCs on your network can't access the Internet. Routers are relatively cheap these days and you should be able to pick one up for under $40. I like the Linksys products as they're easy to configure and just run and run and run. You should also be able to replace your cable company's cable modem with a purchased one. I have Adelphia and got a cable modem for $49. This saved me $3 on my monthly cable charges for a payback of a little over 16 months. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Jared Dawson" wrote in message news:6ae87860.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I have two computers both running XP. I want to be able to share a cable internet connection. I have used a cross over cable to connect them and I can ping each one from the other. I can also ping the loop back address. I can not get it to share the internet connection. I have run the install wizard numerous times and nothing. Any ideas would be of great help as I am out of ideas. > > Thanks > Jared

Comment

Working...
          X