X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    AS/400 to PC network

I provide programming support for a client that does not have any other support staff. Since I do not normally work with hardware or networking, I would like some suggestions on hardware requirements and configuration. The client has purchased Client Access and wants to use it for file transfer. Configuration: AS/400: OS/400 – V4R4, Ethernet card (not being used), Client Access (on order), no modem. PC: Windows ME or XP (Professional), Ethernet available on either. 1. What do I need to connect a PC to the AS/400 in their office that will allow transfer of data to the PC? The two systems will be next to one another in the same room. For example, if an Ethernet connection is used, what cables, router, etc do you suggest and what type of setup is required on each system? 2. I would also like to be able to do a remote connection to their AS/400 from home. What type of modem or other connection would you suggest to do TELNET and FTP using a PC? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• dacust
    replied
    AS/400 to PC network

Bill's advice sounds good to me. You can also try the iSeries Information Center and click on "Site Map". The first section at the top is for connectivity. Lower down under Networking are sections on ethernet and TCP/IP including a link for "TCP/IP setup". This is a lot of information and may be difficult to wade through, but give it a try. If you let someone else talk you through too much, you'll have the devil troubleshooting it later. -dan

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic AS/400 to PC network

AS/400 to PC network

CWA49 wrote: > AS/400: OS/400 - V4R4, Ethernet card (not being used), Client Access > (on order), no modem. > > PC: Windows ME or XP (Professional), Ethernet available on either. > > 1. What do I need to connect a PC to the AS/400 in their office that > will allow transfer of data to the PC? The two systems will be next > to one another in the same room. For example, if an Ethernet > connection is used, what cables, router, etc do you suggest and what > type of setup is required on each system? First off, you -might- have a problem getting V4R4 CA to work on XP, so make sure you work on the ME PC first. You will want to use Ethernet, the cables should be Cat5 specified. You can get any hub (or switch) that you find that's either 10 or 100 Mbps. Setting up the 400's ethernet card can get involved, you'll want to set it up for the TCP/IP protocol. Hopefully someone else can give you some detailed pointers on setting it up. The PC's should be pretty basic, make sure that they are running the TCP/IP protocol on their network cards. This may turn out to be one of those things that you'll need to ask questions as you encounter them. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a step-by-step guide for this - I've done most of our system in stages since back in the V2 days. Bill
Working...
X