Mapped drive logon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapped drive logon.

Require that the users ID and password to match on the iSeries and Network. It makes things so much simpler. Login is automatic. Users can change iSeries password by pressing F9 from the signon information screen (system value setting will show this screen, I think). If your users are using Win 95, 98 or 2000, the login window doesn't allow them to change the user id, only type a password. Win NT (ME, XP too?) will allow them to type a user id and a password. If the user profile gets disabled in Netserver, just do a CHGUSRPRF MYUSER and hit enter with no other parms and that resets access. Chris

Mapped drive logon.

Require that the users ID and password to match on the iSeries and Network.
    Much as I agree that doing so would make life much easier, it's not feasible for a number of reasons. I know that you can specify the user name to use when logging onto the IFS. I was hoping there was a way to set up that user profile to automatically be logged onto the system, or to send a password along with the user name. It looks like you can map a network drive specifying a user or a password, but not both. Still hoping... Keith

Comment

Mapped drive logon.

Yes, I know, it's hard to make this a requirement after the fact. The only other option I can think of is to set up a "guest" profile in Netserver with "read only" access to the folder. I don't know how to do this but should be in a redbook. Search for "netserver". Chris

Comment

Mapped drive logon.

Thanks very much. From what I read in the redbook I found ( http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245196.html ), this is the solution I'm looking for. Unfortunately, something's not quite right. The Net Server is up and running (has to be to map a network drive to it, apparently, so it's been up all along), but when I try to view the properties on the NetServer using AS/400 Operations Navigator (from Client Access Express for Windows V4 R5 M0) I get the error shown in the attached image. I've set the guest user profile I've set up using as the guest user using an API call, but it's still asking for a password. Anyone out there with any advice? Keith

NetServerErr1.jpg

Comment

Mapped drive logon.

Turns out the error is in Ops Nav. When I used iSeries navigator from another programmer's PC, the error didn't occur. Now to see if I can map the drive without logging on... Keith

Comment

Mapped drive logon.

Haven't received a reply to this in the "programming" section, so I'm posting here. I have a java program which executes PC commands received from the AS400. Most of these commands will be to open a PDF stored on the IFS. I'm looking for a way to avoid the user having to enter a password to access the folder. If we map the AS400 as a network drive, the user is prompted for a password at logon. If we don't, they are either asked for one the first time they try to view the PDF, or the attempt simply fails. Users are not required to synchronize their usernames and passwords on the network and the AS400. Any suggestions?

Comment

Mapped drive logon.

Yep, it works. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X