WorkStation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorkStation

Dsheeley wrote: > Hi all, I am fairly new to the hardware side. Just found an old > AS/400 9402-200 in my storage room. Can anyone recommend a > workstation to use, and how to connect it? I know this is pretty > elementary stuff to you all, but any help is greatly > appreciated......I am looking to have a dedicated workstation...just > to play around for development...... If the 9402 is like a 9406, the most common way to connect the system console is to connect with a twinax workstation. The workstation would connect to a twinax port connector coming out from the back of the unit. Twinax connectors screw onto one another and have 2 pins or holes in the center and are keyed so the polarization is maintained correctly. Note: there are reports that once a 400 has been idle for x many days, the system assumes it has been sold and will ask for either a reload of the operating system or re-entry of the System Key (I don't remember which one). You will also need to know an appropriate user profile and password to be able to sign on. Bill

WorkStation

Thats a good point....let's say there is no user name and password......any back door I should know about?

Comment

WorkStation

Ani idea why I can't keyboard to work for the telex 1486 I hooked up? I see a sign-on, but the kes don't seem to work......do these things need some sore of set-up?

Comment

WorkStation

Dsheeley wrote: > Ani idea why I can't keyboard to work for the telex 1486 I hooked up? > I see a sign-on, but the kes don't seem to work......do these things > need some sore of set-up? I'm not familiar with that model. Is it possible the keyboard is just plain bad?

Comment

WorkStation

Dsheeley wrote: > Thats a good point....let's say there is no user name and > password......any back door I should know about? I believe you can initialize the operating system via the front panel to get QSECOFR's password to revert to it's default. This would require you to have the OS source and probably the MULIC (Machine Unique Licensed Internal Code) as well. Bill

Comment

WorkStation

Thanks for the info. Looks like it WAS a bad keyboard. Now, I also have a 9406 I am trying to set up, but can't figure out what kind of workstation it can have.....does have a network card also. Any ideas?

Comment

WorkStation

Hi all, I am fairly new to the hardware side. Just found an old AS/400 9402-200 in my storage room. Can anyone recommend a workstation to use, and how to connect it? I know this is pretty elementary stuff to you all, but any help is greatly appreciated......I am looking to have a dedicated workstation...just to play around for development......

Comment

WorkStation

Standard 5250 displays were used. There are other non-IBM brands that can be used also. For the network card, you can configure a TCP/IP Ethernet line and when TCP/IP is started you should be able to use Client Access to connect to the system (if c/a is installed.)

Comment

Working...
                X