Can the IFS be mapped to an external server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the IFS be mapped to an external server

You can use a symbolic link in the IFS. External servers appear under the /QNTC file system. (They have to meet certain rules about announcing their presence, I think. I am not a network guy.) The command would look something like ADDLNK OBJ('/qntc/ServerName/Dir1/Dir2') NEWLNK('/MyDir/SubDir') LNKTYPE(*SYMBOLIC) The objects in the OBJ dir will be accessible by the NEWLNK dir. Or you can just directly access the files by using the /QNTC path.

Thanks for the info. Is there a step missing above. In other words, do we need to define the "ServerName" in the IP Host table? Any other steps that may be evident to someone that has set up this process before that may not be as intuitive to a first time setup? Thanks

Comment

Your Windows servers need to be in the same domain as your AS/400. This is done in the NetServer setup. Also to get around Windows security you need to have a username and password that match someone authorised to access the Windows data on the PC. Changing profile handles etc does not work when accessing the Windows world. If you see a list of servers under QNTC you are nearly there. Note that there are some PTFs about as this stuff used to be excruciatingly slow but now OK ... I'm on V5R1M0. I have applications that read and write directly to the PC Servers based on published stuff by Scott Klemmett.

Comment

You can use /QNTC mapping for Windows servers as suggested but also look at QFileSvr.400, QNetWare, QOpenSys, QLANSrv and QOpt for the appropriate remote file system.

Comment

I know we can map the AS400 to a logical drive on a network so AS400 data can be accessed directly from other applications and was wondering if the reverse is true. In other words, we have a server that contains files we need to access from the AS400. Can we set up a virtual directory in the IFS that points to the server so we can use AS400 commands to copy the data to the 400? I know FTP & Client Access both are an option but don't want to use these methods. Thanks for any help.

Comment

You can map a IFS file through a DOS command: NET USE. By example: c:net use x: \xxx.xxx.xx.xmyfile mypassword /user:myuser

Comment

Working...
            X