dumb terminal connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb terminal connection

kab wrote: > I have two dumb terminals and one printer daisy chained with twinax > to a port. There was a power surge/outage and the terminals cannot > get pass the "waiting for host". I checked the configuration, port, > re-ipled and swapped out terminals to no avail. Before I have the > cable tested and replace, is there anything else I should look for? Kath, That's pretty much it execpt for ruling out equipment by connecting only one device on the cable. Bill

dumb terminal connection

Make sure that none of the terminals (or printer) have the same address. (0 - 6) Dave

Comment

dumb terminal connection

Each device has its own address. I also tried moving the cable which is on port 4 to a port that wasn't being used(port 7). I believe the iseries should have autoconfigured the devices to port 7 when I turned them on. It didn't autoconfigue the devices. Am I correct, that the system should have done an auto-config? I have called to have the cable tested. It just seems strange to me that an entire cable can get whacked out. But, I guess strange things do happen.Thanks. Kath

Comment

dumb terminal connection

Many twinax devices require a manual setting of the addresses. If any of these are set improperly the result will be the same as the symptomns that you have described. This is with Auto-Config turned on. Dave

Comment

dumb terminal connection

kab wrote: > It didn't autoconfigue the devices. Am I correct, > that the system should have done an auto-config? I have called to > have the cable tested. It just seems strange to me that an entire > cable can get whacked out. But, I guess strange things do > happen.Thanks. Kath What does the command DspSysVal QAutoCfg show? Bill

Comment

dumb terminal connection

It shows 1 for on. I tried this too, My port 7 is open,I have one other green screen which I connected to Port 7. The system did do an auto-config for the device. I deleted the device from Port 7. Next, I took the cable in question and attached it to Port 7. I turned on the first device and no autoconfig occurred.

Comment

dumb terminal connection

kab wrote: > It shows 1 for on. I tried this too, My port 7 is open,I have one > other green screen which I connected to Port 7. The system did do an > auto-config for the device. I deleted the device from Port 7. Next, I > took the cable in question and attached it to Port 7. I turned on the > first device and no autoconfig occurred. Beginning to sound like bad equipment and not bad cabling. Bill

Comment

dumb terminal connection

I have two dumb terminals and one printer daisy chained with twinax to a port. There was a power surge/outage and the terminals cannot get pass the “waiting for host”. I checked the configuration, port, re-ipled and swapped out terminals to no avail. Before I have the cable tested and replace, is there anything else I should look for? Thanks kath

Comment

dumb terminal connection

You are right about the equipment but cable was problem too. I called ibm and they said cable problem. They were right. The cable from port 4 to the first terminal was good. However,it turns out the cable from the first terminal to the second terminal was bad. Must have an intermittent short in it, because the electricans tested it as ok. In addition, the second terminal had a bad printer port, which would knock the terminal to "waiting for host" when the printer was hooked up to it. Some things can not be explains.. such as why swapped terminals to the first connection of port 4 proved futile, and why autoconfig did not work with port 4 cable connected to port 7. It works now and thank you for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X