Cannot Find Host...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Find Host...........

I thought you'd have an answer pretty quick, Joe, but... DNS service (remote name server referenced above) translates domain name to IP address. You'd want to check what your DNS server is configured as and why it doesn't have the domain name in its lookup tables. I don't have any idea how that's done if you're not maintaining your own DNS server. rd

Ralph, Thanks for the reply. Now for more information..... The 400 in question is a used box I bought several months ago for personal experimentation. A friend of mine houses it at his business at it sits on his network. A few months ago, he had network problems and the IP address of the 400 changed. After much trial and error (a network guy, I ain't!), it was back online. I have just now tried to use email and it no longer works (it was working the last time I tried - prior to the ip change). All that being said, I am wondering if something is still not set right on the network config and I wonder if this causing the Telnet issue and the email issue. Does this make sense? Any thoughts? Thanks, Joe

Comment

Check your IP Routing Entries (not subsystem routing entries) Dave

Comment

David, Thanks, but (please forgive my ignorance) do you mean the "Work with TCP/IP Routes"? I had wondered if the "Next Hop" was wrong. If this was wrong, would it cause outbound problems? I can get to the 400 w/no problems. Thanks, Joe

Comment

Yes, and also check your Host Table Entries. Dave

Comment

Joe: GO CFGTCP Use option 12 - Change TCP/IP domain information Domain name server: Internet address . . . . . . . '222.111.0.39' '222.202.0.85' In the above section, you enter the DNS settings your Internet provider gives you. The way my brain understands it, this is the system where your 400 goes to translate domain names to actual IP addresses (I'm sure someone can give a more technical/correct answer). But that's how my 400 is setup and works.

Comment

Joe, basic TCP/IP on the AS/400 is pretty straight forward. Under the CFGTCP menu, you need to work with options 1,2,10,12 and 20. Opt 1: Internet address is the IP address you want to assign to your server (don't use 192.168.x.x). Subnet mask normally is 255.255.255.0. Line Description is your ethernet (wrklind) description. Take the defaults on all the others. Opt 2: This how the server knows that the internet exists. Generally you only add one entry (*DFTROUTE). Route Destination is *DFTROUTE. Subnet mask is *NONE. Next Hop is your Router or gateway internal address. Normally given to you by your provider. You can figure it out by opening a DOS (CMD) window and typing: IPCONFIG. That will give you all the info you need as long as that PC is on the same network as your AS/400. Take the defaults on everything else. Opt 10: One entry should already exist (LOOPBACK). You need to add one more. Internet address is the IP Address assigned under Opt 1. Host Name is going to be several entries. One for your system name, (do + for more entries). One in the format of systemname.domain.com and one prefixed with "Qsystemname". That handles most situations you would need. Opt 12: Host name is your system name. Domain name is exactly that. Get it from the "IPCONFIG" command. Domain search list is *DFT. Host Name Search can be *LOCAL or *REMOTE. If it is *LOCAL, that means the server looks to see what is cached locally before going to the defined DNS server. DNS server is the IP address provided by your provider or via IPCONFIG command. Take the defaults for everything else. You will also have to mess around under option 20, option 12. I have a document ID# if you need it for mail configuration. You shouldn't have to change much else to get basic networking up and running on your system. Hope this helps. Greig

Comment

What does it mean when you can telnet to an IP address, but not the domain name? I do not think it would be practical to add host table entries...... so, my real question is "What system setting must be changed or what needs to be configured differently to eliminate this problem?" Thanks, Joe
                Code

Comment

Thanks to all who responded! The problem wound up being that the IP address for the DNS server was wrong! Thanks again, Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X