FTP & Setting up separate network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bvIseries, Now, this looks a lot better solution. Pl help me clarify few things.. 1. With our voice & dictation system on a T-1 circiut, came a simple router(say, RTR#1), already installed (unused and paid-for) that can be connected to a LAN; and gives us a bandwidth of 250K. The documents I am going to FTP are usually 25-30K, about 50/day; so the bandwith should be ok... time it takes is not a problem. The step would now be is I can buy a firewall router(RTR#2); connect the ethernet port to campus LAN, and the DSL porrtt to RTR#1. I don't have to pay for monthly DSL then as voice system will send it thru their ISP. Does this sound ok? 2. Now, which router gets the IP address 172.162.xx.xx (or whatever)? I think it would be the RTR#2. 3. Would configuring this router need a PC connection initially? 4. >>5. Also configure the router to block all inbound ports (unless you need inbound FTP then create a static route to the AS/400)<< Crating static route meaning buying static IP addresses? 5. >>These are the basic steps and there are some tweaks that need to be done.<< Can you pl shed some light on these? Thanks again.....

Comment

nshah400, I am not sure where to start, maybe we can chip away at it one by one. Soooo here goes!!! I assume you can work with you DSL provider to get the DSL interface working. Ok now, what you call RTR#2: You will need a PC hooked directly to this unit (see router manual) to configure the router using its web interface. After that no PC is needed for your FTP process. FIRST, disable the DHCP server feature of this router, otherwise is will start delivering out addresses on your existing network (that would be bad ). Next configure the router internal network address scheme to one that is not being used now (again see the manual). By default most of these routers use 192.168.x.1 or 172.16.x.1 or something like that. Assign the router’s address on the low end of the network. (Say like 172.16.1.1). Save your settings. The AS/400 : Assign a new IP address (yes static!) with the same networking address scheme used by the router to your existing Ethernet card (Say like 172.16.1.12). I would leave a few number in-between just in case. Again this will not affect any existing connections. Now a simple test: Connect the router's network side to you network. Now perform a ping on the AS/400 to verify you can see the router (like ping 172.16.1.1). If you get a response you are over half way there. Now you will have to consult the IBM manuals to configure the appropriate routing or use static host entries, so that your FTP transfers utilize your DSL connection. I hope this get you closer…

Comment

I hope so too... Thanks.....

Comment

Take a look at this VPN software, it should work without having to open up any ports in the campus firewall. There's a linux version that might work directly with your as/400, but I don't know much about the linux side. Failing that, the windows version with a PC in the middle will work fine too. It just adds some extra complication to any automated transfers.

Comment

Which VPN software you are mentioning? Plus isn't VPN setup suitable for only our people to connect back to the home? We are trying to setup with outside clients.

Comment

I am always amazed at what I see for solutions. Yours is simple - straight forward - common sense approach to solve the problem.

Comment

bowdenf, Thanks so much for the complement! I have always tried to find the most direct route. It is unfortunate that with so much technology out there that vendors (and some consultants) try to sell you on solutions that DO work, but are overly complicated and difficult to implement and maintain. Thanks again..

Comment

Guys, need guidance. We are a small independent business sitting in the midst of a campus network, regularly FTPing files from/to campus' diff systems. We also have our own twinax(!!) network. There are PCs scattered on the campus on network pointing to our AS400. We are at v4r5 (have to use OfficeVision/400). Now, there is a need to do FTP to a couple of private clients outside of the campus. Since this is for-profit business in a not-for-profit campus, they will not allow their channels to do this. They may not even open the required ports that the clients may want. Question is , how do we do this? Can we set up, say a VPN while maintaining our existing network? What would be required? Any hardware/SW on the system? Appreiciate your quick response; and thanks in advance.

Comment

bvIseries, Agree.. I too got some workable but costly offers on this. BTW, I wanted to share the approach I am taking on this issue. I have divided the issue in two phases: 1. The campus has agreed to outbound FTP over their network. Since at V4R5, I don't have SFTP (vs FTPS), I inquired about 3rd party SW which turned out to be costly. So, I am taking a PC route. I can FTP the documents from AS400 to a connected PC within campus firewalls - no secured transfer required there. I will set this PC up with SFTP client which will monitor the document folder, and SFTP it out. 2. For phase II, I will put a fast DSL modem/router/firewall etc as you had sugested, and let the world see our website (to be built). Pl share your opinion on this. Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                    X