wireless disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless disconnects

I have a wireless router at home, Linksys G. It drops me almost every day. I have wired connections into it that never have a problem. I wonder if your wireless access point is just dropping them from time to time. Maybe the disconnect is so quick that only the 5250 connections are noticed since those are actual devices and the internet connections just wait for the reconnect.

wireless disconnects

Thanks for the response. I agree with you. It just so weird since the signal strength is excellent on the wireless connection. I have hardwire the pc today and now it is wait and see if there are more disconnects. I have a feeling there won't be any more. Thanks again

Comment

wireless disconnects

I just wanted to comment on the signal strength. I can be just a few feet (6 feet) away from the router and it still drops for no reason. I think it is a firmware issue with the router. I think you are doing the right thing by trying a wired connection to see if the issue goes away. Then you can go from there. Good luck.

Comment

wireless disconnects

I remembered something about this somewhere, so that was a big help. I Googled connection dropping with wireless and the first few point to a Windows wifi problem with 802.1x authentication which must be disabled under XP SP 1 to get around. But I think we're all on SP 2 aren't we? Still it's dated Feb. 1, 2007 so must still be relevant. The Linksys G is talked about in fifth and sixth articles down, but is dated 2004 and 2005 and again SP 1 is the culprit. Here's an extremely interesting one this year: http://www.eeaston.com/using-my-umpc...-disconnecting He did tests and even currently Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is disconnecting wifi signal every ten minutes even with a strong signal to look for an even *stronger* signal if it feels safe to do so, such as detecting a wired LAN adaptor. I can say that none of this is what I think I saw about it, but hope it helps. rd

Comment

wireless disconnects

It’s been four days now since I changed the pc from wireless to hard wire. There have been no disconnects on the hard wire. For some reason this one PC does not reconnect and client access is configured to do so. The other wireless PC on the same access point will occasionally disconnect but 99.9% of the time it will reconnect.It’s an old access point and my other thought was to get a new access point. However, I have around 6 laptops that do connect to this access point and have no problems. The difference is they do not connect to the Iseries, no client access. IBM assured me it is not the Iseries or client access. They suggested another application or firewall. I researched and tested both of these and found nothing. In the end, it's a hit and miss thing and the hardwiring got rid of the aggravation for the time being. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

wireless disconnects

I had an interest in this because I had ordered wireless for my DSL. The router has arrived, and the DSL changed to support wireless, but I haven't switched the DSL modem to the wireless one yet. Nevertheless, I am now seeing disconnects when logging in remotely to other servers, and that's even before connecting via the wireless router instead of being cabled in as I am now. I can't even guess what Windows is doing. I will try seeing if I can find and change something about Windows Wireless or whatever that I posted above, but enabling wireless even though I'm not even using it yet definitely disconnects me where it didn't before. I'll see what I can find. rd

Comment

wireless disconnects

I got this from an article on the internet and it works for me. I have a DSL connection. Once I have established a connection: Control panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services -> scroll down and select Wireless Zero Configuration and "STOP" it. see: http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3577111

Comment

wireless disconnects

We have two wireless pc's connected to the iseries 800 with client access via an access point. They Intermittently keep getting disconnected from the iseries. The interent connection is not lost. Sometimes they reconnect other times they must be varied off/on. Error message is CPF5140 which suggests the ASCII controller inactivity timer expired. The QINACTITV is set to *none. I have no problem with any other PC, only the wireless.

Comment

wireless disconnects

Thanks for that tip. I haven't got back to remotely logging in with that PC to deal with the disconnects again since posting, but this will help when I do look at it again. rd

Comment

Working...
                  X