Using the IFS to store ACCESS databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the IFS to store ACCESS databases

George said: "We are using our iSeries IFS to store MSaccess databases but I am having huge performance issues" Understandable. George also said: "which might mean I have to move the databases back to W2000 servers (I dont want this to happen)." Why don't you want this to happen? Is this a political decision or a technology decision? The natural place for Access is on a PC server, not the IFS. The IFS is a "convenience" not a solution. You're trying to use a hammer on a screw. Better to use a power screwdriver. Also, if you're trying to use MSAccess for mutil-user applications, as it appears you might be doing, then again I'll suggest that you've got the wrong tool. Access isn't muti-user friendly. SQL Server is a better database for multi-user applications. You can still use MSAccess as the front end, just point to a SQL Server database. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer, except in this case.

Chuck its both political and technical , we want to show how much better and in some circumstances cheaper the iSeries is cf intel servers. We can back up and restore quicker , faster in DR etc. One of the points is was trying to make that if we copied to the IFS using DandD etc we still had performances issues. George

Comment

George, I think you'll be hard pressed to justify that it's cheaper to use the iSeries for an Access database. First of all, disk storage is considerably more expensive on an iSeries. Second, the response time will be considerably slower, maybe up to a magnitude slower! The productivity loss by end users alone will blow the ROI out of the water. Costing other managers money in labor costs is never a way to endear the I.T. team to them. As to stability. A W2K server that only serves files for your given application will be very stable. We have W2K servers that haven't been rebooted for over a year. Backup and recovery is also very simple. Believe me when I say that trying to "force" the iSeries for every solution will only label the proponent as an iSeries bigot and discount their credibility tremendously. It also shows that they don't understand the entire spectrum of tools available and are unwilling to do so. The wise manager uses the right tools for the job. In my analogy it's like a janitor that says they can do everything with their upright vacuum. Well, you'd be pretty unhappy if they used that upright vacuum to dust your desk. It's the same with the iSeries. It's a fabulous machine, but it's just a machine and as such has strengths and weaknesses. To try to force a company to use it where it doesn't shine just puts a black mark on the iSeries and also those who are proponents of that solution. In the long run other departments will quickly smell this as a political move and will be less inclined to relinquish control of future projects to the I.T. team. It's much better, politically, to do the right thing and gain the trust of the other departments so that when it comes to the BIG decisions they'll defer to the I.T. team. The BIG things will always include the iSeries. Pick your battles wisely. Remember, computers are just tools, not religions. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "GEORGE WILLMOTT" wrote in message news:6aeb529d.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Chuck > its both political and technical , we want to show how much better and in some circumstances cheaper the iSeries is cf intel servers. > We can back up and restore quicker , faster in DR etc. > > One of the points is was trying to make that if we copied to the IFS using DandD etc we still had performances issues. > > George

Comment

Chuck said: As to stability. A W2K server that only serves files for your given application will be very stable. We have W2K servers that haven't been rebooted for over a year. Backup and recovery is also very simple. -------- Chuck and I don't agree on much, but on this particular point we're in complete agreement. For static files that aren't particularly sensitive, a Windows machine is more cost-effective than the iSeries. I'd venture to say that if you have any in-house Linux talent, a Linux server would be even cheaper, but there is a support cost. I have a philosophical problem with Access databases; they tend to proliferate and rarely have the same type of centralized control that an iSeries database has. It's hard for me to identify a set of corporate data on which I would NOT want to have the type of security and auditing capabilities that the iSeries offers, but if you have such data, then once again Chuck is right that the iSeries is probably not the place to put it. I'd be interested to know, however, what sort of data you'd want to have accessible to the corporation that you would store in Access. Joe

Comment

I'm sure IBM wouldn't mind selling you an IXA (Integrated xSeries Adapter - a PC) or whatever they're calling it these days. That uses iSeries disks but not in the same way as the IFS. I have no idea, though, how its file-access performance compares to that of a separate PC with its own physical disk drives.

Comment

To all I have taken on board all the wise words of wisdom you have relayed to me . 1) We already use an IXS card as a DOMINO sever and it works great. 2) We have more disk space on the iSeries to the IFS is saved to disk each night, then to tape and stored off site. Because we backup to disk the IFS is easy to recover - within 30 seconds. The W2000 platform backed up to tape taken off site and can take up to 5 hours to restore. 3) Whether or not we are using access/excel or whatever software is irrelevant , there as still an underlying performance issue using drag and drop into the IFS even between Iseries.

Comment

Chuck would it be an advantage to store the data in QDLS ? On the subject of files in the IFS do you know of a way using iSeries commands to obtain the object size - I require this to get email file growth on the 400. The only way I can think of is to use the DSPLNK command(see green screen) Any ideas Cheers George
              Code

Comment

We are using our iSeries IFS to store MSaccess databases but I am having huge performance issues which might mean I have to move the databases back to W2000 servers (I dont want this to happen). We have tried several tests ie copy / drag and drop / open files from the desk top to the IFS even between iSeries machines and the time taken is up to 10 times longer then performing those tasks to an inel server. We are running 5.2 OS/400 with the IFS *TYPE1 . Can any one help with these performance issues ? I have thought of converting the IFS to *TYPE2 but I have no idea what effect this will have on our DOMINO mail files held in the IFS. Thanks for any help George

Comment

QDLS is slower than the IFS in most if not all things, and has many more limitations. IBM's unsupported IFS Tools utilities are handy for manipulating the IFS in greenscreen. They include QRYIFSLIB, which lists IFS object attributes to an outfile. You can download file ifstool.savf at ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/as400/fromibm/ApiSamples They are described in Registered Knowledge Base document 19175649 at http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...lkreg?openform I use the 'ls' QSHELL utility to list attributes to a PF, then parse it with SQL: CRTPF MyLib/MyFile RCDLEN(200) QSH CMD('ls -A1 ''/SomeIfsDir'' > /qsys.lib/MyLib.lib/MyFile.file/MyFile.mbr') Then query MyFile.

Comment

Working...
                  X