Devices varied off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devices varied off

When you IPL the system automatically ends various subsystems, QINTER is the subsystem used by devices attached thru Client Access (TCP/IP), you need to create another startup program that starts up this subsystem (and any others not automatically firing up). Compile the program into QGPL. Then WRKSYSVAL with the system value QSTRUPPGM and enter in the name of your new startup program HTH Shane

Devices varied off

The real reason for this behavior is because the TCP/IP devices are virtual devices created by Client Access device requests. When they are created by OS/400 as a result of a Client Access incoming device request, the parameter ONLINE in the device description is set to *NO. According to IBM, the way it's supposed to work is that when a future incoming request for that device is seen by OS/400, it will vary on the device description and use it. However, as we all know, things don't always work as advertised. 99% of the time, the process works as it's supposed to, but I have seen many times when the Client Access sessions would not connect to a varied off device description after an IPL. Therefore, I embedded four commands in my system startup program. These will vary on the virtual device controllers and all devices attached to them. The MONMSG commands are just in case something weird happens it won't crash the startup program. I've been using this for several years and now we don't get any more calls for devices not connecting after an IPL.
    Code

Comment

Devices varied off

We IPL once per week on Sunday. We notice that all non-Twinax attached devices are varied off after the IPL. I.E. all TCP/IP devices. Is there a reason for this strange behavior? Thanks, chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Working...
      X