Backup issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup issue

George, try replacing the A with an F. I have just about removed all my hair over these type issues.........

Backup issue

Bentley I have tried putting in that message ID and it does not work. Thanks any way George

Comment

Backup issue

GEORGE WILLMOTT wrote: > We recently had a problem with our tape backup(we know what caused > the error) , when running our nightly backup the following message > occured on the system log > > Device TAP03 was not ready or next volume was not loaded. (C R) > > with the following messsage ID CPA4086 George, If you enter SAVLIB at the command line and then hit F4, F1, F2, towards the bottom will be a list of the CPF messages that can be monitored for for this command. Obviously, the CPA4086 is not one of them. Let's try to solve your problem with another viewpoint. I assume that this is a problem because the save is happening when the system is unattended, so we need to do something while the system -is- attended that will cause this message and allow it to be responded to. One option would be to run an InzTap. When you think about it, the reason why this message isn't monitorable is because it demands intervention, there's something wrong with the hardware. I guess it might also help to know what's happening prior to this command and what is supposed to happen afterwards when it's succesful and when it's not. Bill

Comment

Backup issue

Bill I have already put in place a check prior to the backup to see if there is an issue with the tape and take the appropriate action if there is. My main point is - this should be catered for in the SAV* command to allow for a tape failure during a backup so the job will continue down a differant path not waiting on a message Cheers George

Comment

Backup issue

George, You can always stick in the old addsysrple after the check of the tape, and then rmvsysrple after the job is handled. Might cause as many problems as it solves. Ron

Comment

Backup issue

its a 99 level message which we may not be able to monitor. Looking at the QSYSOPR queue, are there messages leading up to it that 1). Indicate the actual problem and 2). Can be monitored and 3). Are not currently being monitored. If the above does not set you up, then is there a way to MONMSG CPA0000 and then set up a RCVMSG loop that parses and catches the CPA4086? RWW (Up until last week, a St. Louis Cardinals fan in the NL)

Comment

Backup issue

We recently had a problem with our tape backup(we know what caused the error) , when running our nightly backup the following message occured on the system log Device TAP03 was not ready or next volume was not loaded. (C R) with the following messsage ID CPA4086 Having looked at the SAVLIB command this is not one of the expected error messages.However I included it in the CL but again the code did not pick up this error. The question is how do I pick this error up in CL ? This is part of the current CL I use SAVLIB LIB(IPTSFIL IPWMFIL IPSAFIL IPASFIL IPPAFIL + EAFILES EADEVLIB EAMODLIB EAIPSTART + IPTSMOD) DEV(TAP03) ENDOPT(*leave) + USEOPTBLK(*YES) ACCPTH(*YES) OUTPUT(*PRINT) MONMSG MSGID(CPF3751 CPF377D CPF3777 CPF3794 + CPF380B CPF3871 CPF2659 CPF4120 CPI5922 + CPA4086) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(LOOP6)) MONMSG MSGID(CPF3751) Cheers George

Comment

Backup issue

George, this may cause soem discussion but I have always run *MSGQ QSYSOPR in *DFT mode as we run a lights out computer room. We have no full time operators, only a service to cycle teh tapes. If you do this the overnight backup will get a monitorable message. There is little you can do unless you have another tape deck available as it usually needs human intervention. If you need to complete the job I guess you can page someone or try again next night (what I do) as I have a 24 hour operation and don't have luxury of time outside 3 -4 am in teh morning. Angus

Comment

Working...
                X