Clear All

Tell Me Your Processor Group

** This thread discusses the article: Tell Me Your Processor Group **
    It's a hack program, but it does return the LPAR ID... Michael
    Code

Comment

When I display data area QGPL/QPRCFEAT it still says "530 2150"! I'm running an 810-7406. This obviously was overwritten when I restored our environment to the new box, since it's just a data area. I have "fixed" it manually, but I'm curious why IBM doesn't have the info in a central source, otherwise, some folks will be getting conflicting info (like me) depending on how it is requested. e.g., My QPRCFEAT SysVal would report 7406 accurately, but QPRCFEAT DtaAra would say 2150!

Comment

Bob, i'm not sure where to find it, using ibm screens. One major vendor supplies one of their own pgms to display the lpar-id as a 3-digit field. eg. 001, 002 etc. I presume this relates to what you are seeing on your model 800 as a single digit? The point is that it is unique to a partition and so a vendor can restrict software to only run in that partition by using the id in their auth code generation. I assumed it is something that one sees if you are actually partitioning a system, using the ibm tools (dst?) but i've not personally been through that process. I look fwd to your DSPPTNINF command.

Comment

The API should have the correct and non-changeable data. I suppose this means if a software vendor is using the API then an end-user could change it and get cheaper licensing?

Comment

I also use the MATMATR MI instruction. I have a new command call DSPPTNINF which display the partition information. It includes both the system serial number and the logical serial number. The LGL SRLNBR is simply the system SRLNBR with the partition ID added to the end of it. At least in the few examples I've seen. I use xTools to get this info since it wraps the MATMATR MI instruction in a much more easy to use subprocedure. However, MATMATR is what I call under the covers in xTools.

Comment

I use the Retrieve System Status API (QWCRSSTS) to know the LPAR-ID. I have written my own program to display the LPAR but you can also find it in the Service menu. (Go Service) Choose option 6 (Display Service Registration Information) and there you have the Logical partition info.

Comment

Working...
              X