• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: V5R3 System Values

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: V5R3 System Values **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: V5R3 System Values0

TechTip: V5R3 System Values

It's about time (no pun intended) that OS/400 automatically adjusts for DST... Why wasn't this done sooner?

Comment

I spent some time researching this several years ago. The understanding I got was that there are no universal rules for Daylight Savings Time. It's more like a convention than a rule. For instance, there are jurisdictions that do not observe DST (Indiana, Hawaii and Saskatchewan, for instance). Opting out is more common in rural areas and near the equator. There are also locations, typically near the polar regions, that adjust by 2 hours instead of 1 hour. Still, I have to agree. IBM could come up with a solution that works for 95+% of their customers.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add: Not all locations begin and end DST on the same dates either.

Comment

IBM in V5R3 provides over 60 *TIMZON descriptions which should cover many of the i5/OS customers. Admittedly there are a few locations, Lord Howe for instance with a 30 minute DST adjustment, that are not covered; but most are. IBM has provided V5R3 PTFs for some additional *TIMZONs and future releases will most likely add even more. Is there a specific *TIMZON you are looking for that is not currently provided?

Comment

The Work with Time Zone Descriptions (WRKTIMZON) command allows you to create custom time zone descriptions. This way it's possible to allow for ANY circumstance. There was an article here in July that covers this. Mike

Comment

We just installed a new box and upgraded to 5.3. We were caught off gaurd when the time auto adjusted for the time change last month. Reading this and the associated article I guess this is due to the fact that QTIMZON is set to QN0500EST, which has DST details in the description and should be QN0500EST2, which does not???

Comment

If you want to disable DST, that is correct.

Comment

Working...
                X