TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios **
    Sorry Mr Max One last question... When you say "If it spews back that it's an invalid login, then I'd say it's your 400 configuration" which "400" do you mean? The ".as400" or my AS400 server configuration?.. After I run /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_as400 -H HOST -p PASSWORD -v LOGIN I still got => CRITICAL - Login ERROR, Invalid password even when my password is correct!!. Please.. Thanks.. Araman.[*]* Will place all the check_as400 items in the check_as400 folder and try again with the new path config tomorrow.. need to go back now..

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Monitoring Your System i5 with Nagios **
      Hi Mr Max I still not able to make the plugins function properly. But I'm slowly beginning to understand the plugins behavior. I think I manage to let the plugins talk to the AS400. The AS400 ID I've created is NAGIOS. When NAGIOS server started, I can see a job QPADEVxxx under QINTER (user NAGIOS) in the AS400. THe strange thing is, the job only lasts for 1 minutes before ended by itself. It will start again the next 30 second after it ends. Is the plugins supposed to behave this way? Are there any settings in the AS400 that I've missed out? Below attachment shows the joblog of how the job being ended. I got these log every time the NAGIOS telnet job under QINTER ended Please show me the way.. THanks Araman[file name=6b4f21dc_ESPLF.TXT size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b4f21dc_ESPLF.TXT[/file]

Comment

Hi Araman, I looked at your job log and the CPF5140 is a session timeout. My first guess is that the Nagios Login service alone enabled is not enough to keep the session alive. Going by what Max writes in the article, I would activate at least the Ping service in the configuration file where you activated Login, and others you plan to use. In looking at the information on telnet to the AS/400, I never did see a default 1 minute timeout. From Joe Hertvik's "Admin Alert: Readers' Insights on Inactive Jobs and QSTRUPJD Job Logs" http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh100702-story05.html and others I see a default 10 minute timeout that would detect dead telnet sessions and end the job. If yours was set down to 60 from the default 600 then that would be an explanation, but that's also a stretch that the Nagios AS400 plugin looks dead to the AS400 with just the Login service enabled, and that's assuming that's all you have enabled. Lots of stretches there to explain it. Worse would be IBM's note that it's usually caused by network communication problems. I'm assuming some back and forth to be able to login so assuming that basic to and from communications is working for the successful logins. Here's the very helpful IBM Telnet Session Drop Checklist http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...256cf3006ba9d2 Hope just enabling the Nagios Ping and other services you want to use is all it takes. rd

Comment

Hi RD.. I actually "manage to run" the plugins. But in a very strange way. Scenario 1: I tried to run the check_as400 script manually. 1) I stop the nagios service (service nagios stop) 2) I recreate the AS400 user ID (delete and create again) 3) I run the check_as400 -d -H -v LOGIN 4) I got "OK - Login completed successfully" !!! 5) When I try to run again (3).. it hanged at "waiting for token..." Findings => It only works one time!? (after recreate the ID) Scenario 2 I try to run the web interface (acces nagios from http://localhost/nagios) 1) I stop the nagios service (service nagios stop) 2) I recreate the AS400 user ID (delete and create again) 3) I start the nagios service (service nagios start) 4) Only one AS400 service is shows OK status (either one of the AS400 services except for ping, which always OK) (*Screenshot) => Status information value stays the same (no changes after few refresh.. the status value is only retrieved one time!!) 5) After few refresh, all the AS400 plugins services goes CRITICAL.. 6) If I would repeat step 1) to 3) the other AS400 service will take turn to be OK.. (??!!)... until it eventually turn to CRITICAL later.. Findings=> It only work one time!!.. Assumption: Somehow some memory or buffer is not being released.. Overall : I still cannot make the plugins to work properly. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Araman.
          Code [file name=6b4f2215_Screenshot.png size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b4f2215_Screenshot.png[/file]

Comment

As Ralph mentioned, investigate the Ping service. I mentioned this once before, but you have to give the Nagios user access to certain things as the plugin README file suggested. Start opening up your Nagios user by granting rights until it works, and then you can start backing off what the user can and can't do. This doesn't sound like a Nagios problem. The Nagios plugin is passing off the paramters just fine. The reason Nagios shows that it works once is because it does, and then after that, all services are dependent on LOGIN, which I mentioned before. If you can't LOGIN, then all the services can't be checked anymore so they go critical. This is typical. After you get it working, I mention in the article exploring the use of Nagios service dependencies, so you won't be bothered by all services, and only be notified of LOGIN if it fails. That's later though. Looks like you got the Nagios stuff working correctly, though, so start with tweaking your AS400 Nagios user. Again, the author suggests a basic user access to the following rights. Troubleshoot with what Ralph gave you, and then keep tweaking your Nagios user. README/INSTALLING Security Note: Realize that this plugin communicates to the AS400 via telnet, which is easy to sniff and capture user names and passwords. Use a generic user with restrictive rights for the plugin. The user needs access to wrksyssts, wrkoutq, wrkactjob, dspjob, dspsbsd and dspmsg.

Comment

Thank you Mr Max , RD The Nagios is running properly now.. My linux expert friend comes to the rescue.. He look at my debug attempt (where it hangs) and I explains a few anomalies.. ./check_as400 -D -H -v SBS QINTER Then ask me to change the settings in the AS400 user profile. The problem lies at (Display sign-on information (DSPSGNINF)) Changed it to *NO. ... then the command run smoothly. Thank you Mr Max, RD, for helping me along the way Your guys are the best!! Screenshot (nevermind about the fax services.. We do not have it running in our iSeries.. I just want to see how it works.)[file name=6b4f2303_Screenshot.png size=24]http://www.mcpressonline.com/images/fbfiles/files/6b4f2303_Screenshot.png[/file]

Comment

and thanks to our Linux expert friend, too. I see from the screenshot that the Nagios people have done a fine job on this open source project. Kudos to them. rd

Comment

Excellent! Have fun playing with the other gazillion things Nagios can do. Max

Comment

Greetings again Mr Max After successfully bringing up Nagios, I tried to get it to display performance graph (CPU & Storage).So I google around..and ended up with Oreon.So I've begun the quest to get the Oreon up and running. Well, after more than 1 month, I manage to get it up and running. I even got the graph to display (after some tedious search and bringing up all the modules (perfparse, mysql, ods .. etc) that it requires). I actually edited the check_as400 code to enable it to display graph in Oreon. But I ended up with incomplete functions in Oreon which I am still trying to make it work. THis is frustrating.. In my opinion, the reporting part of Oreon is not as complete and "matured" as compared to Nagios. It is confusing to troubleshoot. The Nagios box also need to run additional services.. Unexpectedly, I come across nagiostat after the Oreon graph success (huh!!).. Ironically, it require to change service_perfdata_command to its own nagiostat command. So, it is either Oreon or Nagiostat. Should I continue the quest for Oreon to be fully functional? Have you ever get the graph working in Nagios alone? What do you think Sir? Rgds Araman

Comment

To be honest I don't worry about graphing in Nagios, and I've never used Oreon before, other than hearing about. You might want to look at MRTG for this purpose since it's documented on the Nagios site. http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/mrtggraphs.html I don't usually worry too much about graphical things with Nagios, because I just want it for reporting to me whether hosts and services are up and down. I do monitor a few graphs across MRTG and SNMP to watch traffic in and out on a few servers, but for one, that's not what you are referring to, and two, it's using MRTG on Linux, again nothing to do with Nagios performance data. The link I passed on is about as much help as I can offer on this topic. MRTG's website is full of information as well, but again, I don't know how easy it is to use it for Nagios perf data. http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/ Please take the time to search Nagios documentation and their wiki site. Most information can be obtained from the new docs and community website that was launched a month or two ago. http://www.nagioscommunity.org/wiki

Comment

You are right.. The main purpose of this solution is to monitor & notify us the availability of the host/service. Other additional functions are bonus for reporting. It's already functioning as what is expected. Thanks for additional info on MRTG.Will check on it. Thanks for helping me this far.. Regards Araman.

Comment

You're most welcome. There are a lot of other reporting tools available, I'm sure, for Nagios. But from what little experience I have with MRTG, I recommend it because it doesn't require a database backend to use. Search http://www.nagiosexchange.org for "reports" or "reporting" and you might find something already easily interfaced as well. NagiosExchange is a wonderful community driven site for plugins and packages to use with Nagios. I'm glad you got things going, and thanks for reading!

Comment

Thanks Mr Max Now my Nagios is monitoring iSeries (AS400), pSeries (AIX), xSeries (Windows and Linuxs in VMWare), routers and switches resources (CPU, memory and harddisk). I've integrated the graphing modules with NagiosGrapher, which is easier to customized according to my needs. Need some studies on the codes though,and changes on source codes, but I've succeeded. I've also integrate my Nagios with Google Map and Nagvis. Haven't tried on distributed and redundant monitoring yet. Will try when I have the chance. Thanks Araman

Comment

Working...
                            X