AS/400 System Halt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS/400 System Halt

We recently encounter the problem of OS/400 system halt due to maximum number of jobs reached in the system (system value QMAXJOB is 163520). The problem was caused from a program, which generated non-stop batch jobs, via trigger on the file in a specified job queue (max active job is 1 in this jobq). When the problem occurs, all interactive session and HMC console could not login the system. At that point of time, no system error message shown in HMC console. All we could do was to call IBM hardware support for help. With manual IPL, changed the system value QMAXJOB to 400000, then cleared the problem job queue and its job log in the system. I would like to know if there’s any way to avoid the system halt causing from maximum number of jobs?

Re:AS/400 System Halt

Without knowing what the trigger program is doing, it is difficult to say. Please post your trigger program code. Dave

Comment

The system value allocates work control block space on your system at IPL time. This is what keeps track of your jobs when they start, end, and any ouput that is created after the fact. I had a similar instance where we kept to many spool files on the system, and by not deleting them we reached the max and the system haulted as well. We had an accounting group that wanted to keep 10 years of spool files online. The system grew over the years, and it finally haulted when we hit the number. As soon as we deleted spool files, the system came back to life. It looks like the setting protected you. It could be the job submitting so many other jobs needed to go to a threaded jobq, vs one that would let so many run at once. Your solution was the right one, set the value to the highest number you think you need but no more, and IPL for the system to re-size control block space.

Comment

I don't think you're going to find a system-side solution. The solution will have to come from the submitting job. It will have to check the current number of jobs in the system and compare this against the maximum allowed to determine whether or not it should be submitted. I know you'd like the system to do something like not allowing any more jobs to be submitted, but that wouldn't be the best fix because what if noone was signed on when the limit was reached? The system wouldn't allow any new jobs of any kind to start - a bad situation. Bill

Comment

Working...
        X