• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Space Report?

I ran the Disk Space report on my system i and I got the following report:

Description % of Disk
    User libraries 19.01
    User directories 17.45

I understand the user libraries and that number seems reasonable. What I don't know is what is in the "User directories", we don't store anything in the IFS. We pretty much work in the standard system i (AS/400) libraries, so I don't understand how User directories could be taking up so much disk space. How can I tell what objects are in the "User Directories" so that I can maybe clean them up?

Thanks.
    Last edited by richddean; 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

User directories may also include IBM supplied folders.

These can get pretty hefty.

Dave

Comment

Check out whatever folders are on your system using WRKFLR command...That does seem like a lot of disk space. Are you sure somebody doesn't have a drive mapped to the IFS and is storing stuff there...???

If it's just ibm folders...I'd leave it. You never know when a requirement will come up where you might need it. Never can be sure. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by efnkay View Post
        Check out whatever folders are on your system using WRKFLR command...That does seem like a lot of disk space. Are you sure somebody doesn't have a drive mapped to the IFS and is storing stuff there...???

If it's just ibm folders...I'd leave it. You never know when a requirement will come up where you might need it. Never can be sure. Good Luck!
        I did the WRKFLR command and this is all I have:

QDIADOCS
        QFOSDIA
        QGA400RT
        QIWSADM
        QOTTMFLR

So maybe it is like Dave said just IBM stuff. We have a relatively small System i so maybe my numbers are reasonable. I was just trying to do some spring cleaning and that when I stumbled across that folder percentage. Since we are not currently in a disk space crunch I will just leave it.

Thanks for the quick feedback from everyone!

Comment

You should have more than that.

Check to see if you have *ALLOBJ authority. To do a thourough disk inspection you will need *ALLOBJ authority.

Dave

Comment

Yes, I have *ALLOBJ authority.

User class . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *SECOFR
            Special authority . . . . . . . . . . . . : *ALLOBJ
            *AUDIT
            *IOSYSCFG
            *JOBCTL
            *SAVSYS
            *SECADM
            *SERVICE
            *SPLCTL

-Rich

Comment

User directories disk space

Using WRKFLR is only going to show you what is in the library QDOC which contains folders and documents in QDLS. This is not related to DIR's.

You can try 2 other things:

1. WRKLNK will give you a list of Directories and you can take option 5 against these to look deeper. If you come across any STMF's you can use option 8 to display the attributes and page down to see the size of the object and its owner's name.

2. Use Operations navigator to look at "File Systems" Click on the + sign to see "Integrated File System". Click + again and you will see "Root". Go deeper as you would with Windows Explorer and you can see details of the files, including their size, creation dates etc.

Investigate any extraordinarily large files, you can click right button and choose "Properties" which will tell you the owner's name.

Be careful what you delete, especially if it resides in a directory beginning with the letter Q as these are usually IBM objects.

Comment

Thanks for the info dolphin, I will give that a try. We are not to 55% disk space utilization now, but I am always on the look out for rogue files that we have forgotten our out there which can be deleted. Thanks again....

Comment

Working...
                X