INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

I don't think you can get more batch. My understanding is that all the machine's power is available for batch, and interactive just subtracts from that. If your machine has 5000 CPW, of which 1000 is interactive, that's still 5000 total, not 6000. If you're using interactive heavily during the day, there'd be about 4000 CPW available for batch, rising to 5000 when everyone's signed off. Depending on what kind of batch jobs you have (RPG vs. SQL, for example), giving more memory to the batch subsystems might help.

INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

Hi, What you can (if it is not already done) do is : - load some parameters file into memory (depending on the available left) by using the commands "SETOBJACC", - add more CPU slice time via the submit job command or the jobd, - use read and write blockinq through the use of the OVRDBF parameters command. Regards.

Comment

INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

As Ken wrote, you can not transfer interactive power to batch, but you can transfer resources to batch work. You can end the QINTER subsystem and increase the amont of memory of the Batch subsystem. You can change the Jobs (e.g. by using weekend JOBD) to use a larger timeslice for the batch jobs. And the best is to reorganize the files using the KEY parameter. This reorganize resorts the file by the key used in your batch program and therefore the programs will perform less physical (Synchronous) I-Os. If you can rearrange the files each job will run much faster and the impact is the same like giving more CPU power to batch' or even more.

Comment

INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

If you haven't already...you may want to change system value QPFRADJ to 3 and let the system handle the workload. You could also create a new class (with routing entries) for batch processing that processes at a lower priority and higher timeslice.

Comment

INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

Like most companies we require high interactive usage during the working day but over the weekend we require more batch capability and little interactive. Is there a process which will give me more batch and less interactive ( without a machine upgrade) We currently have 820 - 24AC Has any one any ideas ? Thanks George

Comment

INTERACTIVE TO BATCH

We use a commercial memory management product, AutoTune, from help/systems. This reallocates memory to the various memory pools and, very helpfully, does this dynamically based on actual workload. The reason I thought of this is that AutoTune allows you to set a "Day" and a "Night" configuration. It isn't really set up to manage weekends as such. In our environment, we are a 24/7 shop and so the idea of having a separate configuration for weekends is less appealing. However the Day and Night configurations have proven to be handy.

Comment

Working...
            X