• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, I am impressed! Ric

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

I have SMTP set up on our 820 running V4R5 and would like for the system to generate an email whenever problems such as disk failure, job abend, system threshold exceeded, etc occurs. How do I go about this and where is the best source of information?

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Hi Ric, May be little bit misunderstanding. 1. There is a job on main server which sends a Monitor job to all Sub AS/400. 2. Monitor Job runs on the Sub AS/400. Create a list of all errors and then sends all errors to Main server using SNDNETMSG and if there is no error then it will send SUCESSFUL message using SNDNETMSG. 3. Then another job reads all those errors messages from the Message Queue and create one email. It also check if any Sub AS/400 message is missing, then it will highlight this AS/400 with red color. Just executing this job anytime will answer your first question Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, Looks like you have a good monitoring system in place. Just two questions: 1. Can you trigger a system-wide checkup on-demand? 2. Why use only SNDNETMSG for the final status report? Why not put in an email as well? This way you can continuously monitor status messages over the internet (example: yahoo, hotmail)

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Thanks Ric. Actually there is only one email for all AS/400. All AS/400 return a "Sucessfull" message if there is no errors and if any AS/400 does not return any message it means there is a problem, so I put additional logic to send a Failure job for that store. Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, Wow! 60 AS/400s! Imagine all of them sending you email everyday! I suppose my method of verifying communications would not be very practical in your case. However, you should device a way to make sure all communications are working. There is no point putting so many integrity checks into your system if the warnings can't get to you in time. Also, don't forget to check QSNADS. SNDNETMSG is useless if QSNADS is down. Ric

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Thanks Ric for the advice. We have over 60 AS/400. What I did is check the severity from the QSYSMSG Queue and if it is above the severity 80 then it should report. I am also monitoring the job Queues, OutQueues, SubSystem and no. of jobs in a subsystem. The whole monitor will first check and create a physical files of messages and then send each message using SNDNETMSG to a designated Queue for Monitor to the Main Server. 2nd Job on Main Server, read all the messages and generate one email. This process happens four times a day. Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, It is good that you found the message. Just beware that these may not be the exact messages that may pop up in QSYSMSG. Also, beware of complacency. While this monitoring program can considerably reduce your monitoring activity, it has it's limitations, so you should take care not to be too dependent on it. Some notes: 1. It only monitors messages you programmed into it. You never know when a never-before-experienced problem (and accompanying QSYSMSG message) should pop up. In my case where I was monitoring 15 AS/400s, I made it a point to view each AS/400's QSYSMSG queue at least twice a week. 2. The program relies heavily on email to inform you of potential problems. Make sure your AS/400 email services are always up! A quick check would be to send email to yourself from each AS/400. I used to entertain myself by assigning each AS/400 a human name and program them to email me a unique cheerful message every morning. 3. You might want to code a program to monitor for never-before-seen messages in QSYSMSG and to email you about it. This will help cut down on unpleasant surprises. Well, that's all for now. Ric Ang

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Thanks Ric, I just found these messages by searching the QSYS/QCPFMSG File and they are CPI116A 99 Mirrored protection suspended on the load source disk unit CPI116B 99 Mirrored protection still suspended on the load source disk unit I hope you will get a better oppurunity sooner. Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, I am not aware of any documentation on critical messages. All I can suggest is that you look at the sample code in my article http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@17...ae.1@.5bfa6e6c You can extract a number of critical messages from the code. Sorry I cannot help you further. I am currently jobless and thus have no access to an AS/400.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Thanks Ric, Is there any documentation where I can find critial message listing. I want to find a message where "Mirroring has been suspended" Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Shafiq, I tested the setup in v5r1, it works. There is no system value involved. As long as message queue QSYSMSG is in library QSYS, the operating system will always try to send critical messages to it whenever a serious problem is detected. Please note that not all messages sent to QSYSOPR are also sent to QSYSMSG. It is possible that there is nothing to worry about. You may be running the monitor in an AS/400 with very low activity and no serious problems whatsoever. If you want to test this, just create a dummy user profile and make several invalid sign-on attempts until it becomes disabled. This will trigger the OS to send a warning message to QSYSOPR and QSYSMSG.

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Hi Ric, Critical messages are not coming to QSYSMSG Queue. QSYSMSG Queue has been created for more than 10 days. All messages are coming to QSYSOPR. Is there any setting or system value? Release is V5R1M0. Thanks Shafiq

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Hello Shafiq, The message indicates that the QSYSMSG message queue has already been allocated by another job. Here are some possible causes: 1. Someone is monitoring (and allocated) it online (via CHGMSGQ command) 2. There is a running batch job that has allocated it (either via ALCOBJ or RCVMSG command) If you just recently created the QSYSMSG message queue yourself, I strongly suspect you already have a previously submitted version of the MONSYS program running somewhere in batch. This program would allocate QSYSMSG to itself and prevent you from accessing QSYSMSG from another program. You can check for this condition by running the WRKOBJLCK command on QSYSMSG. By the way... you might want to take a look at the article I wrote on this same topic. It is not only free, it also includes a more robust code for monitoring QSYSMSG. http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@17...ae.1@.5bfa6e6c I hope you find this useful. Ric Ang

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    Email Notification

Hi Ric, I tried the sample code but this CPF2451 message is coming "Message queue QSYSMSG is allocated to another job." How to avoid this? Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X