The Linux Letter: I Once Was Lost but Now Am Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Letter: I Once Was Lost but Now Am Found

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: I Once Was Lost but Now Am Found **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Linux Letter: I Once Was Lost but Now Am Found **

** This thread discusses the article: The Linux Letter: I Once Was Lost but Now Am Found **
    The AS400 has had command prompting since it's inception. When is the Unix/Linux world going to upgrade to a comparable system? Or is it a case of programmer job security to know all the obsure syntax of these commands?

Comment

I doubt that they ever will be a prompter for Unix. The OS/400 interface lends itself very well to command prompting, since each command is automic. That is, each command executes a specific program (which may, itself, be a series of commands). Unix/Linux commands are different. Instead of being an all-emcompassing program, they tend to do one thing well. Commands in the Unix world are typically strung together with the output of one feeding the input of another in a chain that produces the desired output. Thus, the usefullness of a command prompter would be nil. The bottom line -- Unix has a different design philosophy which makes a command prompter rather useless. I really like the OS/400 command prompter, but as my skill on the iSeries grew over the years I found myself simply typing the commands (with parameters) on the command line. I don't think that there is some nefarious scheme to obfuscate the Unix commands. Once you get the hang of them you'll find "man command" to be sufficient. And if you really want a command prompter... Hey! It's open source and the code is completely open and available. So write one!

Comment

Working...
      X