Java IDE for Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java IDE for Linux

Borland has a free version of JBuilder for Linux to download from their site, I believe. Ralph

Java IDE for Linux

IBM has the entry version of Visual Age for Java available on their website.

Comment

Java IDE for Linux

Can anyone recommend a good Java IDE for Linux. I tried Forte For Java, but I found the speed to be too slow. Thanks, Tony

Comment

Java IDE for Linux

I've used both Forte and Visual Age for Java on Linux. VA loads faster but you have to be a VA fan to use it and I'm on the fence. Forte is nice but, like you said, it loads slow. I need to take the time to download the free version of Builder -- maybe tomorrow. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that I don't normally use an DIE on Linux (which is my primary work environment). I use DE's write (which does Java syntax highlighting) to edit and either a custom shell script to compile and test or Jakarta's ANT (see Barry line's MC article on ANT to be published in July, I think). You'll find, once you are comfortable with Java, that your small, modular programs don't really need to be debugged through a debugger and that going into an IDE just to compile is too timely. The most machismo of Java developers are even using IBM Alphawork's (www.alphaworks.ibm.com) Jikes compiler because it is bleedingly fast.

Comment

Java IDE for Linux

Don Denoncourt wrote:
          "You'll find, once you are comfortable with Java, that your small, modular programs don't really need to be debugged through a debugger and that going into an IDE just to compile is too timely."
          And here to offer an opposing viewpoint, A Man with a Handkerchief on his Head.
          Seriously, though, IMO Visual Age for Java has too much going for it in automatic generation of methods, auto-completion, reference checking, versioning and immediate impact analysis to ever get me back to the old stone-and-chisel days of the command line edit and compile. Toss in evaluation on the fly in debug and deep inspection of complex objects, and I just can't see using anything else.
          You don't need to debug in a debugger? Hmm. I have hierarchies that contain complex object relationships, and occasionally extending one of those relationships doesn't work. Usually it's because of an erroneous assumption on my part, or a bad implementation of a lazy initializer, not because of some obviously defective line of code (oh darn, I meant PLUS one, not MINUS one!). When one of those obscure problems happens, and I have a single line out of 10,000 that doesn't work, it's a lot easier to breakpoint and inspect than it is to bench check, put in system.out.println() and dump logs. The ability to halt at an exception, walk up the call stack and inspect the variables is absolutely essential in my development practices.
          Joe

Comment

Working...
          X