Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux PC As Gateway for Cable Modem at Home ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux PC As Gateway for Cable Modem at Home ??

Martin Carpenter wrote: > > I have a cable modem at my house. I have a need to have a 2nd computer > access the internet through this cable modem. > > I have been told that you can setup a Linux boot diskette that will > allow a PC to act as a gateway for the cable modem & any other PCs on > the local network can then access the internet through this Linux > gateway PC. > > Any ideas on how I can accomplish this ?? > > Thanks, > Martin Hi Martin. This is a fairly simple task. I wrote an article which appeared in the September 2000 issue of Midrange Computing titled "NAT-Not an Insect but a Powerful TCP/IP Tool" which addresses this. Give that article a read (if you have MC back issues) and if you have any questions let me know. Barry

Why not just spend $79 for a Linksys 4 port gateway router? This will let you attach up to 4 devices directly, and up to 250 indirectly, to the internet. And, it includes a firewall that protects them all. The best part is that it's small and easy to manage through your browser. Also, Linksys is constantly improving the firmware so you don't have to worry about maintaining it. Now, if your real goal is to eat up a lot of electricity, space and time then I'd go with an old PC and Linux! ;-) chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. | Martin Carpenter wrote: | > | > I have a cable modem at my house. I have a need to have a 2nd computer | > access the internet through this cable modem. | > | > I have been told that you can setup a Linux boot diskette that will | > allow a PC to act as a gateway for the cable modem & any other PCs on | > the local network can then access the internet through this Linux | > gateway PC. | > | > Any ideas on how I can accomplish this ?? | > | > Thanks, | > Martin |

Comment

I have a cable modem at my house. I have a need to have a 2nd computer access the internet through this cable modem. I have been told that you can setup a Linux boot diskette that will allow a PC to act as a gateway for the cable modem & any other PCs on the local network can then access the internet through this Linux gateway PC. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this ?? Thanks, Martin

Comment

Chuck, Thanks for the reply ! I guess I could simply attach my cable modem to this router & the 2 PCs that I have and go from there ? Is there any other configuration that I need to do on the 2nd PC ? i.e. do they need to share an IP address, how does that work ? Thanks, Martin

Comment

Working...
        X