X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.Boldt
    replied
    Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update

** This thread discusses the article: Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update **
    The average user doesn't know the difference. Half a year ago, my Dad updated to Vista. I could have tried to explain what was wrong with his decision, but his eyes would glaze over. But those in a corporate IT department are different. They know about computers, and should be able to properly advise their bosses on the relevant issues. If any professional IT person can't install or use Linux, they should find another job. The install images can be downloaded, or purchased for $2 a CD from OSDisc.com. There's enough in openSUSE, for example, to replace much of the functionality of the average corporate Windows desktop. Cheers! Hans

Leave a comment:

• webified
    replied

** This thread discusses the article: Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update **
    I see LINUX available for purchase at BEST BUY, for those wanting to have their hand held and the convenience of everything in a box support, but I believe that your average (and uninformed, and perhaps uninterested), computer user will still shy away from it. At home, I use multiple systems, 1 running WIN 2000, 2 running WIN XP and 1 running MAC OS X. The Windows systems are more gears toward supporting my work, while the MAC is more geared towards my creativity. Each system is configured for and installed with certain apps. I will get a LINUX system up and running at some point, I just haven't have made that happen, just yet. Using an active KVM switch, I power up which ever systems I need, and just go with it. My next system will more than likely be a MAC, I'm waiting for the new OS to come out in October, along with, perhaps, a new MAC PRO loaded with, if it becomes available, dual octet-core processors, if not, I will settle with the dual quad-core offerings that are available now. MAC's are expensive, but, for the audio-visual apps that I like to use, it all works out very well, for me. Meanwhile, my 1 WIN 2000 and 2 WIN XP systems keep my work repsonsibilites in order. As of yet, I have no plans to get MS VISTA, I see no need for it, at least not yet.

Leave a comment:

• H.Boldt
    replied

I recently bought a new desktop computer, which came with Vista pre-installed. How do I like using Vista? I dunno. Two seconds after I first powered up the computer, I popped in the first of five install CD's for OpenSUSE. I know there are still a few people out there who think Linux isn't ready for the desktop, and to both of you I say: "What cave have you been holed up in for the past few years?" Vista is one of the best things ever to happen to Linux! Cheers! Hans

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

** This thread discusses the Content article: Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update **
    Generally, consumers have little say about which operating system is to be included with the purchase of the traditional, branded, Intel-based machine. As an alternative, the consumer may opt for Apple’s hardware and its proprietary OS but they will pay a premium. Following the path of least resistance (dollar-wise) most consumers will select the cheaper hardware solution which by default comes with Microsoft’s OS. It’s a simple view of the forces at play when understanding the proliferation of Microsoft’s operating system but I don’t think it’s far off the mark. The only other alternative is a Linux-based machine but its rate of adoption is still slow by comparison. Part of the problem is awareness. Most consumers don’t even know where to purchase it or even know from where it can be downloaded. The paradox here is that first you need an OS to download Linux so a purchase of an operating system has already occurred and Microsoft is still in the revenue stream. It’s like buying a car with the gas-guzzling motor you don’t want (but paid for) that you intend to swap out with another little known and cheaper to operate motor after you get it home. I agree with the author’s view that the most detrimental impact to user acceptance of Vista has come from Microsoft itself and its WGA program. It will serve to further alienate an already disgruntled user-base and drive the educated consumer toward another path of least resistance; Linux.

Leave a comment:

• David Abramowitz
    replied

I'm just rather surprised that it has taken this long to disaffect many windows users. I just wonder how much longer it takes before either: a) Users become thoroughly disgruntled and move to another desktop platform, or b) User get gruntled, and move back in the fold to avoid compatibility issues; go with the flow; and do not want to leave something with which they are comfortable. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update

** This thread discusses the Content article: Maturing Technologies: Microsoft Vista—An Update0
Working...
X