SQL error message while using MSQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL error message while using MSQ

Bob, If you have the SQL button available in MSQ, push it and then copy and paste the SQL statement here for us to look at. Bill > Thanks to Bill Robins, I was able to finally add some libraries to my data source for MS Query. Now that I can see the table I need, I get an error message "SQL5001 - column qualifier or table undefined" after selecting the columns I want and clicking on "finish".

Bill, I think because I'm doing a new query, the SQL button doesn't work as the query never gets to completion. When I get the error message, I have to click "OK", and then the query table box with the columns selected disappears. I then have to cancel the query wizard. The SQL button doesn't do anything at this point. When I clicked on the help button in the error message, here's the "help" info: "Driver error. This error was returned by the driver. For more information, check the documentation for the driver you are currently using." I don't know which driver this is referring to, but I downloaded the current patch for the V5R1 ODBC driver at IBM's tech support's suggestion last week. FWIW, I have also had the "Exceeded resource limit" error when trying to do the query again. This was addressed in another posting dealing with Excel.

Comment

Bob, There's something very basic wrong with what MSQ is trying to do. Maybe we can fix it by tracing the ODBC conversations; you turn this on in the ODBC Control Panel Applet. I wonder if this is a twist on the common problem that is fixed by setting up a Relational Database Directory Entry on the 400. Have you done this? If not, use WrkRDBDirE and add an entry for a database with the name of your 400, the Remote Location is *Local. Bill > I think because I'm doing a new query, the SQL button doesn't work as the query never gets to completion. When I get the error message, I have to click "OK", and then the query table box with the columns selected disappears. I then have to cancel the query wizard. The SQL button doesn't do anything at this point.

Comment

Bill, We have the RDBdirE set up exactly as you described. And, MSQ is attempting to access this RDB. I ran an ODBC trace and can email the log to you. One thing I did note was the diagnostic at the end of the trace as the error occurs. It states: "DIAG [S1C00] [IBM][Client Access Express ODBC Driver (32-bit)]Driver not capable. (30058)" I should note that we have the latest ODBC driver patch for V5R1 from IBM. The IBM PMR tech stated "It resolves some problems with performance retrieving catalog information and that may be the cause of the problem you describe". In desparation, I disabled this driver and enabled the original one for this trace. Results were the same regardless. Should I include the log extract, starting from the diagnostic portion? The entire log would take up a lot of space in a posting. Thanks, Bob

Comment

> Should I include the log extract, starting from the diagnostic portion? The entire log would take up a lot of space in a posting. Yes, that's what I was going to suggest; try to find the last SQL statement your PC sent up to the 400 and then what happened after that. Bill

Comment

Thanks to Bill Robins, I was able to finally add some libraries to my data source for MS Query. Now that I can see the table I need, I get an error message "SQL5001 - column qualifier or table undefined" after selecting the columns I want and clicking on "finish". Can anyone help me with the interpretation of this error message? I looked it up in the IBM SQL book, but it got even more cryptic. Thanks in advance, Bob

Comment

I started over again and used the wizard to establish the data source. This time I did NOT choose the apparent AS/400 connection that showed the correct IP address. Instead, I named a new one and then chose an ODBC driver from the MSQ-supplied list. After completing the process, I started MSQ and went through the same process as before, but this time it didn't stop dead at the data transfer point. It worked fine. Thanks again for all your help, Bill.

Comment

Interesting! Glad you finally got it working. > I started over again and used the wizard to establish the data source. This time I did NOT choose the apparent AS/400 connection that showed the correct IP address. Instead, I named a new one and then chose an ODBC driver from the MSQ-supplied list. After completing the process, I started MSQ and went through the same process as before, but this time it didn't stop dead at the data transfer point. It worked fine. > > Thanks again for all your help, Bill.

Comment

Working...
                X