Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Download data AND formulas to Excel from the AS/400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download data AND formulas to Excel from the AS/400?

Are there quotes around the text that should be interpreted as a formula (in Excel, not on the 400)? Dave

I have tried no quotes, single quotes and double quotes.

Comment

I don't think you can do it that way. A formula in a cell is a special property of that cell Range.Formula; you will be loading the value property of the cell Range.Value. What you will probably want to do is to create a macro that converts the value to a formula in the appropriate cells. Bill "M01hopkins" wrote in message news:5bfadf46.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > In my experiments I have created data fields and formulas in a file on the AS/400 but when I populate the spreadsheet (using MS Query and ODBC) the formulas just come through as character data and Excel will not compute the formulas. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

What I meant was: Assuming there are no quotes in your AS/400 file, do quotes somehow get placed in the resulting file after translation. Dave

Comment

No, the formula just shows up as charater data without quotes but it will not calculate unless I go into that cell and update it - F2 and the enter key will make it work.

Comment

Try viewing the file in MS Notepad on the PC. Dave

Comment

In my experiments I have created data fields and formulas in a file on the AS/400 but when I populate the spreadsheet (using MS Query and ODBC) the formulas just come through as character data and Excel will not compute the formulas. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

I assumed you were talking about viewing the Excel spreadsheet file with notepad. I looked at this file as it looks when you refresh the data with the query and again after I went into the individual cells with F2,space bar and enter to make it calculate correctly. The first time I looked at the file I could see each formula followed by a squared off zero which I assumed was a carriage return or delimiter. After updating each cell (except for one) to make it calculate correctly they all disappeared except the one I didn't change. I should also mention that most of the other viewable data was unreadable except for the column headings - none of the numerical data was viewable.

Comment

Working...
                X