EXCEL AND ISERIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCEL AND ISERIES

Short answer...yes, it's possible. Probably the most straightforward option for doing this is through VBA macros and ODBC.

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Robert, I have to explain this to my programmer. I am kind of new to this.....what would we have to do. Jaime

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Jaime, Has your programmer worked in Visual Basic or Visual Basic for Applications? If not, you're gonna need more than what we can share here in this format. Here's one way of doing it: A data source defined to access the AS/400; usually the Client Access ODBC driver is used for this. A way of tying the resulting record set derived from the query to your form. Easiest way would be to download the record set to a range of cells and then tie the range to the form's display. Bill > I have to explain this to my programmer. > I am kind of new to this.....what would we have to do.

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Bill, Programmer has never used Visual Basic. We were going to download our Part Number and description file to an excel sheet and use that as the source for the information, but, our part number file has 99999 part numbers and the spread sheet only has 65564 rows. I do know a little about Visual Basic and might be able to help!! My concern is how do I connect to the AS/400. If I am on a work sheet, do I do it from there or from the AS/400. I do apologize for this but, we planned on using Access for all of this to go into a data entry scenario but we also have Mac's and Access will not work on it, unless we do a virtual pc on the Mac. Other suggestions!! Other programs that you could recommend!! Thank you. Jaime

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

You are on an older version of Excel. The newer versions allow for more rows. However...... For the type of application you have in mind, I should think that MS Access, or similar DB program would be a more appropriate desktop choice. You would use Excel to visualize data in a 3D format with formulas, allowing you to play "what-if" games. You would use a database program to work with raw data, and turn that data into information. I often see end users using Excel, instead of Access, because Excel is all they know. Even though Access is installed on their PC, they may be blissfully unaware of its existance. Once shown the advantages, the users are generally appreciative, and quick to respond. Dave

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

If you're using a Mac, that might change things some (don't know if ODBC is part of what you'd find on Mac version of Office). If you are cross-platform, probably the best approach is Java or a web application (JSP/PHP/ASP). If you use Java, I'd recommend doing it on the latest JDK you can find for both Windows and Mac. Performance has been improving quite a bit, and Apple has been optimizing the Java implementation on the Mac like gangbusters.

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

David, I think that most of out people know how to use Excel and this is the reason for it. We have the form setup on the Excel programs and instead of having them enter the part number and also enter the description, we would like to make it easier for them to just enter a part number because the descriptions could be quite large and these people are no typists. I have the Excel form but my biggest question is how do I like it to the AS/400. How could I test this or how do I know when it's communicating with it. We have client access 5.0 installed and I have seen a few windows but I have no idea what to choose. Could you help me with this. Thanks Jaime

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Hello Robert, I think we would like to try the Excel first then we are planning on using Domino....but that is at a later time. Could you help me with the way I would connect the Excel worksheet to the AS/400 file to extract the information. Thanks Jaime

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

I don't really know a lot about how to do this kind of real-time updating using ODBC. I think the best place to start is probably with the VBA online help (open the Visual Basic editor and then go to help...one possible starting point is "ODBC queries"). I'm not sure that Microsoft has implemented ODBC/Jet on Macintosh, so this method might not work on the Macs.

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

One possibility is to pass the cell value to an HLL (RPG, COBOL, CL program) using the SHELL statement and the RMTCMD command. This would load column "B" with the appropriate values, but as it would work one cell at a time, it may be (perhaps) too slow. Dave

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Hello, I need some help....lots of help. We have created a form template on an Excel spread sheet and the workbook has 10 worksheets.....all worksheets have 1 form. This form is used to enter and order but we would like to link the form the iseries. As an example.....in column A row 10 thru 20 we enter a part number and we would like the description for that part number to be pulled from the Iseries and placed in Column B in what ever row the part number is in. Is this possible. Please let me know. Thank you. Jaime If you would like to see what my forms look like...please let me know

Comment

EXCEL AND ISERIES

Hello Brian, Will start reading on all these site. I hope I could find the answers I am looking for. Thanks Jaime The jpeg....you posted is that in Arizona.

Comment

Working...
                          X