Aldon -vs- STRDBG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldon -vs- STRDBG

When you strdbg, do you specify updprod(*yes)? If you don't, any O/P or I/O open of a file in a *PROD (opposed to [*TEST]) library will crash. This includes most ACMS activities. Onthe other hand, updprod(*no) is good if you don't have anything like CMS in the stack - it keeps you safe from accidentally updating production data. Maybe you could have CMS open in a different session.

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

Hi Rick. I don't think any of the above or other weird things are defined in the job session. I do not use UPPROD(*YES) as we are in *TEST libraries and they are all marked *TEST. I will look at the Aldon libraries themselves and see if they are *TEST or *PROD library types. Thanks, -Mean 1

Comment

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

How do you like Aldon's Change Management?

Comment

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

Hi Bibarnes. I like it. It was in place when I came here a couple of years ago, so I can take no credit for it's application. 1) Aldon allows us to manage and promote from test to quality, to production environments in a standard methodology. 2) Aldon keeps a history (how long I dont know) of check ins, compiles, checkouts, etc. of program, file, command and other objects. 3) Aldon allows the segregation of source files by developer while allowing the developer to see and even assign to themselves source members in other developer's libraries. Of course it keeps a history of that. 4) Aldon keeps track of all source members created through it for browsing, checkout, etc. 5) Aldon prevents editing, deletion and compilation of "production" source members/objects. 6) If a program references a screen, it ensures the screen, if not checked out, is syncronized with the program. Tere are other features I like but are numerous and would take much time to describe. In contrast, I am sure there are other products out there that do the same thing, I just never used them. I had an army buddy that used to write on ths forum, who is gone now, who wrote a change management system for a company in Texas a few years back. It did much of the same things here, but was written in under 30 days. Over the next few months he added to it, but it never rose to the abilities of Aldon (or others, I'm sure) but did what we needed it to. It was free though and we only had two environments anyway. -Mean 1

Comment

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

I agree with Mean 1. We use it here, and that's my experience too. Also automates the conversion of exisiting data when changing the file layout. We just implemented an upgrade, so Aldon is still improving the product today. I've used home grown at SSA (before they went AS/SET crazy)that was pretty potent, and I've been where other products were installed but not used, and the rest just manually moved from one environment to another. But when you develop on one box and promote to a production box, Aldon certainly adds a high level of professionalism to the process. rd

Comment

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

Hi All. My company uses Aldon as a change management tool. One of the things that I find distracting is: If you are in debug mode and you take an Aldon option, the programs crash and dump. You have to go to a command line and end debug, then get back into Aldon. Does anybody have a work-a-round for this issue? Thanks, -Mean 1 hi Mean 1, I just saw this post after replying to your other one about Aldon features. Sorry, I don't have a workaround for the problem. I don't edit within Aldon, I work through PDM after checking the source out in Aldon, and then use Aldon to promote changes. I also rarely use a debugger. I remember maybe once this year. I'd rather get a dump if I'm confused about what's going on... rd

Comment

Aldon -vs- STRDBG

Hi All. My company uses Aldon as a change management tool. One of the things that I find distracting is: If you are in debug mode and you take an Aldon option, the programs crash and dump. You have to go to a command line and end debug, then get back into Aldon. Does anybody have a work-a-round for this issue? Thanks, -Mean 1

Comment

Working...
              X