Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STRPCCMD routine gets stuck when done. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRPCCMD routine gets stuck when done. Help!

But I launch the PC apps with START .... as in START FTP.... That seems to allow them to run without tying up my green screen session. Good luck! Kevin

Kevin, I tried the START FTP, plus a few other things, but nothing changed... same behavior. But thanks for the try! Rich

Comment

What happens when you try the FTP command directly from the DOS prompt? Dave

Comment

What is this? --> STRPCCMD PCCMD(EXIT) PAUSE(*NO) Chris

Comment

David, If I issue commands directly to the DOS prompt things work fine. But I am trying to run a procedure to FTP spool files to the user's PC without getting them involved. It all works fine until the screen goes black and gets "stuck". Chris, I threw the EXIT command in there hoping it would kill the DOS session. It doesn't seem to make a difference either way. Thanks guys... any other ideas?

Comment

What OS/400 version are you on? What Client Access version are you using (an old one)? Does it get stuck when too you run a non-FTP command? Just run something very simple like PCCMD('start c: empmytext.txt') Pause(*No) and see what happens. (of course, manually make sure the PC file exists first). Chris

Comment

Chris, OS/400 is V5R1M0 Client Access Express is V5.0, Windows 2000 Pro I replaced the FTP command with the text command as you suggested. Once I closed Notepad it went back to the black screen and got stuck again, then when I flipped sessions a couple times I got my application screen back. Rich

Comment

Does this problem happen on all other PC's there? Strange problems like this usually imply that a PTF is needed. Have you searched for a PTF? Chris

Comment

Since I'm still developing this, my testing hasn't gone too far past those PC's within reasonable reach. But I'll expand that. But yes, they all seem to behave the same. I'll look into the PTF route - good idea. Once again, the behavior isn't exactly the same every time. Once in a while it doesn't hang up, but mostly does. Plus sometimes I am FTP'ing a batch of files one at a time and two or three might follow each other without a problem. But it always gets stuck somewhere, and not always at the same place. Rich

Comment

Well, after much research I seem to have found something that works. I used Dynamic Screen Manager API's as follows: QsnSavScr - To save the current screen, Called the CL program to run the FTP script, QsnClrScr - To clear whatever is on the screen at the moment, QsnPutBuf - To re-issue the screen saved in the first step, Mainline program continues processing. So apparently these API's force screen action not caring what the program thinks its doing. I have yet to believe this is the permanent solution, or that it is going to work each and every time, but for now it is acceptable to release to the user. I'll continue to check this forum if anyone has any other thoughts. Thanks everyone for your help! Rich

Comment

I've seen this asked before, but haven't found any solutions. It's an annoying problem that I hope some of you have conquered. I'm using a CL program containing STRPCCMD's to run an FTP script. The routine runs fine and all PC commands work, but when the routine is done it does not return control to the AS/400. The screen just goes black, the clock indicator is stuck, keystrokes are buffered but nothing happens - until I switch to another Windows application then back to Client Access, then everything that was buffered takes place. To make it worse, sometimes I have to do this multiple times - or not at all (meaning it works as intended). Yes, all of my STRPCCMD's have PAUSE(*NO). See code below. Frustrating! Thanks for your help! Rich
                      Code

Comment

Well my skepticism was well placed... the "solution" I mentioned above ran great at first, but then started getting "stuck" once in a while, then more and more often, now it runs worse than ever. This makes no sense. So now I'm back to looking for any ideas you can come up with. Any thoughts are appreciated. Rich

Comment

Working...
                        X