ez way to build a source member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ez way to build a source member

Just like any other file or member. ADDPFM, and then in your CL, do an OVRDBF to that member. If you need more details, describe your situation a little more and we'll help. I wrote an FPT utility that sounds just like you are describing. The RPG program wrote the txt file and then the FTP ran in batch from the script. -dan

Hi Daniel, I asked a question on the rpg section but I got no answer to it - maybe your tool is the answer - how did you stored the passwords for the ftp? Were they visible? Thank you, Cris

Comment

long time ago, I used to create a source member on the fly, but can't remember how I did it. We want to call an ftp txt script from a CL, but do not want to hard code the file name. Can we create txt sources and cat the file names at the time? Thx

Comment

Yes, they are visible, but the source members are in a source file that is owned by our security profile. However, this still does not fully protect the password. Using FTP, the profile name and password are transmitted across the LAN in clear text. Same with telnet. If you do a strpasthr from one 400 to another, the password is encrypted, but you telnet from one 400 to another, it's clear. Another way to deal with this is to have a user profile needing no password that has access to only a particular library that you use for dropping off files. The a job monitoring that library can decide what to do with it. We have an exit program that monitors all file transfers and checks the profile used to see what libraries and files they have authority (upload/download) to. This caused a BIG performance problem on our 400 that had JDE One World on it, however. We had to turn it off there. Lots of issues with FTP. Sorry, I got rambling.... Any more questions, ask. -dan

Comment

Working...
        X