Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between PC and AS400 tab delimiters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between PC and AS400 tab delimiters?

Pull the PC file up in NotePad. Move the cursor right, down a row. If those are really tabs, the cursor will jump from the end of one field to the beginning of the next field. X'05' should work. Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for replying. I've tried what you suggest in Notepad, and the cursor doesn't appear to leap, which implies its not a tab delimiter doesn't it. I've tried the CPYTOIMPF using X'05 and X'09' as the field delimiter but with no difference.

Comment

Just a wild guess... The CPYTOIMPF *PCASCII probably uses the table QASCII to do the conversion. Do WRKTBL QASCII and see what X'05' maps to. Should map to X'09'. Chris

Comment

Yes, in thq QASCII table 05 maps to 09.

Comment

What about the other related Q tables? Like QTCPASC? What is the CCSID on the PC file? 1252? 819? Do a DSPF '/folder/file.txt' then hit F15. And what does it show for the job CCSID on that same screen? Chris

Comment

S K Shipp wrote: > I've tried what you suggest in Notepad, and the cursor doesn't appear > to leap, which implies its not a tab delimiter doesn't it. I've tried > the CPYTOIMPF using X'05 and X'09' as the field delimiter but with no > difference. I just tried the following and it works as expected: CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(SSM) TOSTMF('qdlspcfile.xfr est.txt') STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII) RCDDLM(*CRLF) FLDDLM(X'05') What's your operating system version and how up to date are you on PTF's? Bill

Comment

OS is either 5.2 or 5.3, depending which of 2 machines I'm trying this on. Admittedly PTF's may not be bang up to date, but have been updated this year. I've been looking at this some more, trying again the X'05' as the delimiter. If I look at the hex of the resultant stream file, I notice that there are blanks (X'20') packing each of the character fields, followed by an X'09'. If I FTP this file onto the PC and open with a hex editor, the same characters still appear. What I have tried doing is knocking together a quick rpg that simply EVAL's a string containing each of the values I need, seperated by a X'05'. I have passed the output from this to the third party and they appear to be happy with this. The only difference I can see is because I have %TRIMR'd the fields, the spaces/blanks are no longer present. Not an ideal situation, but its not any more hassle for me so I'll make do with this fix. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Comment

I don't know yet if I am doing something wrong, or whether it is the third parties fault but I am having problems generating a tab delimited file on the 400. Once the file has been created using CPYTOIMPF with field delimiter X'05' and Stream file codepage *PCASCII, it is passed into a PC Client/Server application. When the file is processed at the server end, it is rejected because the delimiters are not tabs. Is anyone aware of differences between as400 and pc which will mean my X'05' delimiters are not behaving correctly on the PC?

Comment

So, it wasn't a tab issue then? You'll like the RMVBLANK parm on the V5R4 CPYTOIMPF command. Funny how their software didn't like trailing spaces. Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X