how to FTP multiple files from a file server to I-series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to FTP multiple files from a file server to I-series

DDAS wrote: > I want to FTP two text files with diff names from a file server to > I-series. I know the names of the respective flat files that will be > capturing the data on I-series. I have created a CL program where I > am trying to use STRTCPIP command for the process. I'm not sure why you think you need to use StrTCPIP for this, the command you want to use is FTP. Read up on batching the FTP process in the manual or search for it on the website, it's been covered pretty well. bill

If you have never had to do this before, FTP can be somewhat daunting, so it might be better to try and read up whats required to do FTP for file transfer Try the following web page as a start http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/network/ftp/vftp.html its not strictly from an AS/400 (or whatever) point of view, but it should give you the basics. There are other web sites that can be looked at for ftp & file transfers from the AS/400 (or whatever) point of view. The other point is, the command you specify (STRTCPIP) is NOT available on my AS/400 (v5r3). Do you mean STRTCP, or something else? If you truly mean STRTCPIP, that may be a home-grown command. Alan Shore

Comment

Das, Where is the file?? In other words are you trying to retrieve the file (an FTP get) from another server? Or are you trying to send the file (an FTP put) to the iSeries? You mentioned a CL program. If that is the case create a member in a source file and place your FTP commands (script). In your CL program (see below) you will need to override the standard input to the member. You can also override the output so that you have a "result" member to help resolve errors. Now if you are sending the file to the iSeries, then you just need to make sure the FTP server is running. Most shops start the FTP server as part of the system startup. Hope this helps
      Code

Comment

Thanks for guidance. I have the name of the server & its IP address. I am trying to bring the text files from the server to Iseries. As per your Code, then the server name/IP would be the remote host name. Am I right?? I have one more doubt now. I will put my FTP commands in the input script file and then override to that member. At what point exactly will the scripts be executed? Should the override be after the FTP statement or before that? Thanks in advance Das

Comment

Das, You are about there... You will want the overrides to occur BEFORE the FTP statement. Once the CL program "hits" the FTP statement it will execute the FTP script! Easy enough.. All you need on the FTP statement is the host name OR the IP address. Below please find a simple FTP script to get a "remote" file and place it into an iSeries physical file. Note you can also place the file on the IFS. Let me know...
          Code

Comment

I want to FTP two text files with diff names from a file server to I-series. I know the names of the respective flat files that will be capturing the data on I-series. I have created a CL program where I am trying to use STRTCPIP command for the process. This program will be invoked by a Robot Job. I am not sure how to proceed with programming part as I am new FTP process. What are the exactly details do I have to take care?? Do I have execute STRTCPIP command twice to ensure that the text file data goes to the respective flat files on I-series. I would really appreciate if anyone can guide me through with a suitable example. Thanks Das

Comment

Why code the system name in the CL program? Why not put that in the INPUT file too? Just curious. I start FTP to a system name that doesn't exist and do an OPEN THESYSNAME in the FTP source code. Chris

Comment

Working...
              X