• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few V5R3 CL Enhancements

** This thread discusses the article: A Few V5R3 CL Enhancements **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: A Few V5R3 CL Enhancements0

A Few V5R3 CL Enhancements

Subroutines would certainly help a lot towards clean, clear code. If we could write to output files CL would almost be perfect!

Comment

Yes, I thought they were going to be there too. But so many long-time AS/400 programmers we so surprised that IBM was enhancing CL and their response to the enhancements was somewhat underwhelming, that I think IBM backed off going nuts with enhancements this time around. I mean, I try to avoid CL programs at all/any cost and just have RPG IV code in my applications; I rarely use a CLP today. I do use CL commands, of course, but avoid integrated CL programs with new applications. Rarely, if ever, seem to need it any more.

Comment

Good article Bob. Not directly related to your article, I would just add that a new system value is available in V5R3 that CL programs might use, QDATETIME, to get the date/time in one statement. Now we won't have to worry about going over midnight between getting QDATE and QTIME. (hey, stuff happens...) Chris
        Code

Comment

Yes, I agree it is bit bizarre and a tad too late to soup up CL, but they did. My thought was that IBM had these things in development, and as a final, parting shot, decided to put them in on this new release. As an old-timer, I vaguely remember a similar thing happening to RPG II on the System/36. We got all these enhancements to the language late in the game - then whammo: No more System/36; no more support. At least in that case, you could make a case that they were trying to transition RPG II people to RPG III on the Silverlake... er, I mean AS/400. I decided to post here to also say that I do not understand your *not* using Control language. To a guy like you, you have to think of it as a scripting language. There's always a need to knock out something fast. Specifically, I use OPNQRYF on every report I do. I can't imagine doing that in RPG or SQLRPG. When it comes to calling programs, submitting jobs, issuing overrides or just executing a bunch of CALLs and CL commands in a job stream, I just cannot see doing that in RPG. It's just easier in CL my friend. Come on... admit it! What I never understood is why CL - a 2GL second generation language at best - is compiled. It should have been an interpreted language from the start. The ability to compile a CL program adds nothing to the top to bottom CL programs I write; adds nothing to the business of developing applications - it's just useless. If they (geniuses in Rochester) were thinking about ILE applications back in 1980 when they were selling System/38s like hotcakes, then OK, make it a compiled language. Hey, if REXX the wonder language had made it, would you still be doing everything in RPG? I think the thing that has always bothered me a bit about the non-support of CL over the years is that as easy to learn as it is, it has always been thisclose to becoming a real, programming language. Yet, IBM never thought so. Pity. Well, we broke the one file limit and now all those technical tests will have to change: Question: How do you handle five files in a CL program? Trick Answer: Call an RPG program! Not any more, bucko.

Comment

Skontos wrote: What I never understood is why CL - a 2GL second generation language at best - is compiled I attended a user group meeting where some IBMers who had worked on the future systems group, and the original OS (CPF) on the S/38 addressed this very issue. The concept of an interpreted control language was considered. The arguement of having an object based OS where any *PGM object could call any other *PGM object was seen as more important. Dave

Comment

What is needed is to allow to evoke or call CL Commands directly from RPG, instead fo QCMDEXEC, just use plain CL sintax directly from RPG. In the Free Syntax Rpg if a line starts with a "!" sign it sould be considered as a command. as simple as that. example: !CPYF FILEA QTEMP/FILEB FMTOPT(*MAP *DROP).

Comment

Can we pass numeric fields as is without convering to charaters, or to variables 15,5 calling an RPG programs. Thanks Tiki

Comment

Yes, you can pass numerics. From the calling program, you just have to make sure it is the same length and either packed or zoned just like the called program requires. Since CL only does packed, I like to make sure all passed parameters are packed. But zoned works as well between RPGs. The only place it gets tricky is when calling from the command line or from the SBMJOB command. For both those cases it's easiest to create a command front-end to properly format the numerics for you. -dan

Comment

I think you mean from a command line. Sure, pass hex. Search for the CL forum. Chris

Comment

At COMMON it was indicated that there will be more CL enhancements in future release. Subroutines, pointers, and data structures were the top three things there were in-plan at the moment. Looks like IBM has realized that people use CL so they should continue to improve it. Other enhancements in V5R3 include... Maximum parameters increased to 99 (from 75) Longer CL variable names Pass by value for CALLPRC

Comment

SQL in CL might be fun. CRTSQLCL.....

Comment

Working...
                        X