• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Made Easier

** This thread discusses the article: FTP Made Easier **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: FTP Made Easier **

FTP Made Easier

I have been collecting your software since the days of Q38. One of the problems is that the source code can hard to understand without the associated article. For the last few years I have been copy/pasting the web address of the article into the source. So the first line of the CMD source now reads /* http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/.6b241c0e */ Assuming the URL remains valid, years from now I can click on the address and return to the article. Would it be practical for you to put a URL in your source as a coding standard? Denny

Comment

FTP Made Easier

Hi Denny, I don't know if that's possible. I don't actualy have anything to do with the website and I believe the web addresses are generated by some routine that someone has. That's a great idea, though.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

Hi Bob, I really like this new command. With this command FTP will once again be a reasonable option for me when I'm needing to move a group of source members to another partition. There is one other reason I have deferred from using FTP when transferring a group of source members. When I transfer source using FTP manually, with a FTP script file or with your new command the source member types and descriptions are lost once they are on the target site. I find it hard to believe that this is simply a limitation of FTP, so what am I doing wrong? Thank you, Gregory P.S. I look forward to seeing you (and Elvis) at RPG World in Las Vegas!

Comment

FTP Made Easier

I want to thank you for yet another interesting and useful program. This is a great idea. By the way, I think you meant to say "rigid script", rather than "ridged script", in the article. I've written the occasional bit of code that could be considered "ridged", but I would rather not dwell on that!

Comment

FTP Made Easier

Using the defaults of *LIBL for the Local Library Name and *FROMFILE for the Remote, causes the Remote Library Name to become *LIBL which is invalid. One fix is to test and change RMTLIB after LCLLIB has been resolved.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

Thanks JOBLING... I changed the source on the website so anyone who accesses it from now on will get that fix. Thanks again.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

Using the defaults of *LIBL for the Local Library Name and *FROMFILE for the Remote, causes the Remote Library Name to become *LIBL which is invalid. One fix is to test and change RMTLIB after LCLLIB has been resolved.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

I think this will be a very useful utility, even more so for us when it works for save files. Any estimate when that part will be ready? When it is, how can I find out about it and get the updated version?

Comment

FTP Made Easier

I do see the need for save files. It isn't a big change but I'm rather tied up for the next month or so doing other things. As always, you can view the source code for it at www.rpgiv.com/downloads and I document the updates in the READ_ME source member in the QRPGLESRC file. So this means, look for it around the end of May unless I have a personal need to get it in sooner, that's when I intend to get that enhancement in.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

thanks for the response Bob. In the meantime, in case other users need to use this to send save files, I have been testing things a bit and specifying the following parameters works with save files for me. Local file . . . . . . . . . . . > TESTSAVF Library . . . . . . . . . . . > PGLIB Local member . . . . . . . . . . > *FILE Remote file . . . . . . . . . . *FROMFILE Library . . . . . . . . . . . *FROMLIB Remote member . . . . . . . . . *FROMMBR Transfer mode . . . . . . . . . > *BINARY The key seems to be local member=*FILE and of course transfer mode=*Binary

Comment

FTP Made Easier

sorry, the spacing on the other message got hosed. Here are the parms I have used for sending Save Files.
                        Code

Comment

FTP Made Easier

GregoryS noted that, "When I transfer source using FTP manually, with a FTP script file or with your new command the source member types and descriptions are lost once they are on the target site." Yes, this does result - unless the source member already exists on the target and is simply being overlaid. This is why I prefer to transfer source members within a save file. I copy all source members for transfer into a separate source file, then save the source file to a savf, then FTP the savf. Be sure to create the source file with 112 (rather than the default 92) as the RCDLEN parm of the CRTSRCPF command, if any RPGLE source members may be included.

Comment

FTP Made Easier

I'm currently working on modifying this command to get a file, instead of put a file. I'm not done yet, but I just wanted to get anyone's input on the feasibility of doing this (or if someone else has perchance already done this? Currently, I'm going through the RPG source and replacing the PUT's with GET's, but something tells me it's going to be a little more complicated than that (other than adjusting the syntax of the GET command.)

Comment

FTP Made Easier

There are two solutions to this issue of loosing the SEU attributes. 1) You can use a save file and transfer it. When the new version comes out later next month, it will handle save files. 2) We could enhance the command so that it runs the QUSRMBRD API to retrieve the existing member attributes, and then run an RCMD CHGPFM to set the target mbr's attributes to the same. Of course this would only work with single member transfers, not generic or *ALL. Another solution is something I've been thinking about as a general enhancement to the command. I was considering adding a USESAVF(*YES|*NO) parameter that would create a save file, save the file and member(s) to the save file and then FTP the save file and do the restore on the other end. But I haven't finishing thinking this through for viable usability; meaning I don't know that even if I get it working, if people will be able to use it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X